• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If I put in coordinates for property corners, will it take me within a few feet? How accurate are they? I have some coordinates off local GIS and not sure how accurate they are.

I hate to buy a portable for a one time use. Nor do I want to pay over a grand for a surveyor.

Looking for a simple free app for a cell phone.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Google Maps? it should take coordinates and also follow the gps on the phone for your location

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Google earth is way better than Google maps for what you’re looking to do. Can give you exact coordinates on the satellite map image or you can search by coordinates. It also has some great measuring tools etc. and it’s free. Highly recommend as we use it all the time for hiking and scouting.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Well I tried google maps. I have 7 property markers. I know where one is. Google maps took me (in open air) within 10 feet of the one I knew. As I stood there is kept moving me all around the marker. (It kept showing me walking around when I was still) I looked for 2 more that I was not sure exactly where they were. G/M was not really sure either. One in the woods, that I was not very sure. G/M took me within 50 feet. I think I was better guessing. Trying number 5, within 30 feet and I found a nice red post. Looking for #6, neighbor comes out with wacha doin?? Tell him and he points to the last 2 posts.

#4 that is in the woods, I should be able to be really close with some tape measures.

2 and 3 I am curious about. #2, the county map shows it in my neighbors drive way.

The property is a big rectangle, with an angle cut on one side.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Get the coordinates off of the GIS website and load them into Google Earth (the website). Save it as a KML file and then load that into the Google Earth app on your phone.

I have one made for my 15ac property and it's spot on with the property markers that have been here since 1986.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Get the coordinates off of the GIS website and load them into Google Earth (the website). Save it as a KML file and then load that into the Google Earth app on your phone.
    Maybe I am doing this wrong.... To get the coordinates on the GIS website I click on X/Y and get lat long where the cursor is. Every time I move the cursor to the same corner I get a SLIGHTLY different lat/long coordinates. How do I get the EXACT coordinates? (I zoomed in as far as it would allow.)

The ones I used earlier were rough enough, that the phone had me moving around a lot.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Maybe I am doing this wrong.... To get the coordinates on the GIS website I click on X/Y and get lat long where the cursor is. Every time I move the cursor to the same corner I get a SLIGHTLY different lat/long coordinates. How do I get the EXACT coordinates? (I zoomed in as far as it would allow.)

The ones I used earlier were rough enough, that the phone had me moving around a lot.
    On my counties GIS website I do similar, it'll get you close but GIS is general whereas full staked survey is exact.

Mine got me right where the corner stakes were at, then I marked a few trees so we can easily see our boundaries (more for the kids than anything).

The KML file on your phone will allow you to show the property lines in real time, with the blue dot showing where you are.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    On my counties GIS website I do similar, it'll get you close but GIS is general whereas full staked survey is exact.

Mine got me right where the corner stakes were at, then I marked a few trees so we can easily see our boundaries (more for the kids than anything).

The KML file on your phone will allow you to show the property lines in real time, with the blue dot showing where you are.
    The blue dot on Google maps had me wandering around when I was still. I am not sure if Google earth would be anymore accurate. It would still use the same gps in the phone.

Yes, a registered survey is much more accurate. But also much more expensive. Last time I talked to them, they do not use GPS because it was not accurate enough. I think he told me lasers were within an 1/8" at a mile. (And that was years ago)

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The blue dot on Google maps had me wandering around when I was still. I am not sure if Google earth would be anymore accurate. It would still use the same gps in the phone.

Yes, a registered survey is much more accurate. But also much more expensive. Last time I talked to them, they do not use GPS because it was not accurate enough. I think he told me lasers were within an 1/8" at a mile. (And that was years ago)

I did not have that issue with my Samsung S21, and I was in a forest with heavy cover at the time.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The GPS Status app from the play store will give you a constant readout of the coordinates its receiving, how many satellites it is tracking and what the error rate is. That said, with my Pixel 5 the best error rate I could get was 12 feet. Don't know if that's a device or software limitation.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Would it not be best to just use a metal detector set to bronze and find the actual markers? The survey man should have placed them in the ground.
    Around here, years ago when they marked the area, they used wooden stakes. The ones I found on the East, the Neighbor said he followed the guy around with some steel posts and pounded them in place.

The 2 I still can't find, the other neighbor said he marked one with an axle shaft. I should be able to find it with a pitch fork. After half an hour with a pitch fork, I got a metal detector. After another half hour or more, I still could not find it. Either removed or I was way off. The other maybe I will try with a metal detector. Worth a chance.

If they used solid bronze posts here, the scrappers would get them.

Top Bottom