• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I reload 9mm. I have a Lee Deluxe die set just so you know. When i flare my cases my press seems to "catch" when i try to pull the shell out of the flare die and then it pops out. Im not really sure whats wrong with it. Ive looked at videos and nobody else has that problem on youtube. Ive readjusted my dies a few times and it always seems to do this. Im only flaring the case to less that 1/8. So you tell me....is there somethign wrong with my die?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Several things,

Are the cases clean inside

I spray a super light coating of Hornady one shot lube on my pistol cases even though I have carbide dies and you dont NEED lube but it sure makes reloading easier.

I don't know how to quantify how much to bell the mouth but you only need a tiny bell on the case to start the bullet, and the less you bell the mouth the less you have to crimp it back and your cases will last a bit longer

I ran into some cases that had a "glue" to seal the bullet and it would grab my die and hold on so you might check the inside of the cases for a residual sealer. maybe make a small fly lap and put it into your drill and clean the inside of the cases if it is a sealer than you only have to do it once

good luck

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My Lee dies do the exact same thing. I haven't considered it a problem as I believe the bell is formed on the up stroke of the handle. The expander stays in the case as the shell is being lowered and forms the flare. You can apply some case lube to the sleeve inside the die to make it easier.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Hmm....Ill try some lube but it happens to all my rounds not just a few so im not sure if its the bullet "glue" or not. Flaring the cases is the part i hate most of reloading just because of this issue. Id really like to get it fixed if possible. Thanks for the information guys.

Anybody else have or dont have this issue?

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    It is perfectly normal. You don't need to adjust or lube anything.

The Lee die that flares the case is the Powder Through die.

From the instructions of the Lee Deluxe Die Set:
    "In use, the expander plug travels approximately 3/8" within the die and comes to an abrupt stop at extraction. This helps to shake the powder through. However, we recommend you check to be sure all the powder has cleared the funnel and expander plug."

It's that "abrupt stop" you are experiencing.

Last edited:

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Best solution I've come across os to polish the part of the die that does the belling. Had to do that on the one set of lee dies I own. Absolute best solution is buy Redding dies!
    :):

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

"In use, the expander plug travels approximately 3/8" within the die and comes to an abrupt stop at extraction. This helps to shake the powder through. However, we recommend you check to be sure all the powder has cleared the funnel and expander plug."

That makes a lot sense! Rep your way

I never really thought about it that way. I guess ill have to get used to it. Maybe readjust how much a flare. From what i read a few posts earlier, 1/8 sounds like too much of a flare on a 9mm case.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Best solution I've come across os to polish the part of the die that does the belling. Had to do that on the one set of lee dies I own. Absolute best solution is buy Redding dies!
    :):

I have had same issue with every set of Lee dies. The finish on their expander plug is rough. I have lightly polished every plug and it does help. Just be careful to not take too much off. You just want to tone down the machining marks. Don't polish until they clean up though.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks. Ill take it apart and see what i can do with it

Another problem is i dont tumble or clean my brass.... Ive been trying to save for a tumbler but i keep taking that money and buying more components :spend:

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009

Bingo!! Normal operation.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Exactly! I just started using a new Lee 4 die set. So far it has been awesome. It makes a very nice neck expansion - just the right angle and amount.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    When you bell, take a bullet and see if it fits.It should fit nicely in the case mouth. If theres a bell still on the case lip when you place a bullet in you're belling too much. the case lip should fit around the bullet, but allows the bullet to slide in when seated without shaving lead or copper.
    Bevel based bullets are easier to bell and seat than plain bases.
    I've got Lee dies that catch just like you're experiencing, but it's due to my belling because of the casts I use. Then again I've got Lee molds that don't catch due to the bullets also. I don't need to bell the case as much.
    One note...Belling you're cases to much will wear your cases out faster

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Another note, too much bell shortens case life as the mouth will soon crack.
    Crimping also , which is why I try to taper crimp everything...
    Buy the biggest polisher you can and try to use as much cob media with as little brass
    as you can. The media will clean the inside also.

Top Bottom