• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Absolutly! I think 250 to 300 rounds through a carry weapon is necessary to prove it reliable. I also believe a portion of range time should be spent practicing with the chosen carry ammo. I rotate out my carry ammo every six months and set aside ammo I've carried for this practice. Funny thing about that. Over the years I can't remember any failure of any type with ammo I've previously carried. That makes me wonder if I'm to anal about rotating it out of my carry weapons every six months. Anyone else find that to be true?

Actually rotating your carry ammo is a good idea, and since I carry every day, I rotate every 3 months. The generally accepted storage conditions for ammo is cool and dry, considerably different than what is found inside an IWB in the middle of a 90 deg summer day. Over time, that moisture, and/or oil residue from regular cleanings, can wick into the case. I am not sure it would be enough to cause a FTF, but I have no intention of finding out with my carry ammo.

wolfman

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Would you guys have the same standards for all guns? I mean, I recently bought a G19 as a carry gun (well, as an all-purpose pistol). I've put about 350 FMJ downrange, cheap CCI Blazer and WWB. Bought a box of Winchester HP last week and I was going to shoot about half of it downrange before loading a mag full of it for carrying. I just wonder if I should be nearly as worried about my G19 as I would be about some 1911s and Sigs.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    IUGradStudent, Every pistol is a little different. It's highly likely your Glock like the 4 billion other Glocks out there will eat anything you try to feed it. At the same time, burning $100 in ammo to be 100% certain the ammo you carry is going to work in your gun, with your magazines, is in my opinion cheep insurance.

I shoot a HK USP. They eat everything. I still tested with my carry ammo of choice to be 100% sure.

Like EVERYTHING else, YMMV.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Carried my Para Ordnance Warthog 45acp today. Its my most common carry gun. Has never failed to fire, feed, eject anything I've ever put through it. I occasionally carry other 1911 pattern guns, I pre-test each one with hundreds of rounds of everything before I carry them. I won't carry a gun that has failed in any way until after it has run at least 250 additional flawless rounds of various ammo through the gun. I always test my guns with at least 100 or more rounds of my defensive ammo plus additional rounds of anything else I happen to have. But at least 100 rounds of premium ammo have to go through that gun to ensure it will properly feed that specific ammo.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    With my Bersa 380 no... with my Beretta 96 yes... I carry some of the federal hollow point in it... and at 18$ or so per 50, it's not too bad putting a few hundred rounds down range with it.

Last edited:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've put about 200 rounds of WWB plus one box (20) of my carry ammo through my M&P .40 carry gun. My carry ammo is Hornady TAP, which is a bit expensive to shoot alot.

I suppose I should probably put more TAP rounds through the gun, but I'm confident it will work if needed.

Top Bottom