• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Leaking delta shower cartridge.. I have what I think is the correct replacement part but old one is stubborn about coming out and I don't want to muck it up forcing remodeling to repair it. I've disassembled it but can't get the cartridge out. Probably just stuck but I would rather pay someone that has experience removing one rather than get medieval with it. PM me

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Do you have a small, propane torch? Gently warm it up until it’s just too hot to touch and try to remove it.
    Bad idea, plastic cartridge and propane torch should never be used in the same sentence. :thumbsup:
    Aww, go on Charlie. Longer lever and a pipe wrench.
    Problem with your brilliant idea would be no water available in the house until I called a real plumber, thanks buddy :lmfao:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Bad idea, plastic cartridge and propane torch should never be used in the same sentence. :thumbsup:

Problem with your brilliant idea would be no water available in the house until I called a real plumber, thanks buddy :lmfao:
    Well, if the cartridge is already toast, it’s going to be rebuilt or the plastic bushings and seals will be replaced anyhow.

And I didn’t say to get it glowing hot just to warm it up hot to the touch. A little thermal expansion greatly eases extraction.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Good Utube vid, looks like I just need to get a little more medieval.. Wish me luck:)
    I had this problem and a youtube video showed me the way. ;)

I think I had to cut the retaining ring it was seized on there so tight. I ordered replacements from Delta. They were cheap.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I had this problem and a youtube video showed me the way. ;)

I think I had to cut the retaining ring it was seized on there so tight. I ordered replacements from Delta. They were cheap.
    I did this on my delta kitchen sink faucet. I used a Dremel with the thin cutting wheel, cut through brass like butter.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Be careful. I was doing the exact same thing (only a Moen cartridge) just a few weeks ago. Watched a couple YT videos, picked up a new cartridge, cartridge puller and felt I was ready to go. I put the puller on it and started screwing it out, but it didn't budge. Videos indicated pulling and "jiggling" it a bit. Pulled and got nowhere and when I jiggled, the stem snapped off. I ended up having to call a plumber at that point (on a Saturday no less) and after trying several things to get the cartridge out, they had to replace the whole thing. Thankfully they came back during the week where it wouldn't cost me weekend rates, but it was still $850 all told. The plumber I used was A-Team Plumbing. Not sure where they're located, but I've used them a couple of times and they're pretty good and pretty reasonable based on quotes I had with other plumbers. 317-445-6265. I will say while they did good work, the cleanup could have been better. Otherwise I was pretty happy with them. Good luck!

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Wish I had known what I know now about the shower.. The cartridge is spring loaded and with a 90 degree turn will split in half.. I couldn't get the back half out but my problem was with the cups in the front half so it took longer to drain the water than to fix the problem. Took the cups and springs from the new cartridge and installed in the old cartridge and problem solved.. I could have probably bought the cups by themselves but happy to be leak free for another, who knows how many years.. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom