• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    There are many good ways to sharpen a knife. I choose tools for the job based on the steel type, profile, it's condition, my customer's intended use for the knife and the amount of time that I can invest. I may choose to manually sharpen on bench water stones, use the edge-guided Edge Pro Professional, the Sharpmaker for serrations or touch ups, mouse pad and sandpaper, leather strops with Bark River compounds.

I even use belt sanders - Yikes! Yes, in the proper hands belt sanders put a razor edge on knives without ruining the profile or the temper of the steel, and without removing more material than necessary to get the job done right. My sander was designed and built specifically for knife sharpening. The belt moves at under 900 feet/minute and the steel doesn't even get warm. It still takes a light touch and an eye for geometry to use this tool effectively. My customers are delighted with the results. I do work gun and knife shows, but I was not at the Indianapolis 1500.

Please don't fear the belt sander as an effective sharpening system. It's not the tool, it's the sharpener that matters. At a show, ask the other vendors about the sharpener you want to hire - they will know the quality of his work.

Kryptonite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    NE Indiana
    What belt sander do you use? I have one from Harbor Freight but it seems too fast and the belt vibrates too much.

the sharp shop online dot com. It uses 1 x 30 belts. I also use a Kalamazoo 1 x 42, but care must be taken to keep the blade cool. I use a light touch and douse the blade in a bucket of water as needed. The Kalamazoo is great for extreme reprofiles and for convexing axes, etc. I tried a Harbor Freight early on and it wasn't long before it went out with the trash. I have a buffer with paper wheels, too, but I really don't like concave bevels - they are weak.

Top Bottom