• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I do know Springfields will replace the GI sights for larger GI style sights and put three white dots on em for $15 if you send in the slide. I don't want a 1911 with the greatest and latest of accessories. I just want a nice, plain 1911 similar to ones our military had. Maybe along the road I'll buy a 1911 and customize it but this one is going to be bare bones.

If that is what you are looking for, consider the SA Mil Spec over the SA GI. The sights are better AND the ejector port is lowered.

BTW, my cousin and his son have RIA 1911's and they love them.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lot's of nice entry level 1911 out there. My one and only 1911 was and still is a Colt government. Shot great right out of the box. Only problem I have had is I got a lot of malfunctins one Friday Nite Steel. Because I did not clean it after leaving it in the safe for almost a year. Due to some medical issues of mine that prevented me from shooting for a while.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    My first 1911 was a Springfield pre-Mil Spec. It's like a mil spec in some ways, but like a GI in others.

This is where I get confused. How is a "mil-spec" 1911 NOT like a "GI" 1911? Which one is most like an actual as-issued 1911A1? (which was both "mil-spec" AND "GI" (Government Issue))

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The GI and Mil-Spec are just model names that SA gives to a couple of it's 1911s. The GI is the one that is closest to the WWII spec 1911. The Mil-Spec is like the GI, but has a couple of upgrades that improve on the GI a bit. The one I have came before they split the two models and has the angled slide serrations, beveled mag well and larger sights like the Mil-Spec but does not have the lowered and flared ejection port.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    gotta give it up for S/A ,thats mostly what I buy in 1911's & they have a top notch service dept .as well. I was missing the tool that locks the mainspring housing & one call to S/A I had a pairof them a couple of days later,no charge.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    At that price point, I go with the RIA parkarized mil spec.

Now, many will say the sights suck because they are low profile with little to no contrast.... and they are correct.... and the GIs fought with the same thing.

It's a great way to learn how to use the front sight and to develope muscle memory.

You won't go wrong with either though.

Top Bottom