• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So headed down to a relative's graduation Saturday morning at the IU Convention Center. Can I carry?

My pink paper and the Statue says I can but IU says I can't. I thought IU was subject to the political subdivision limitations of the statute and there only hammer was their Policy Handbook which does not apply to us non-students/non-faculty.

Per Indianapolis Convention Center
    https://www.icclos.com/pdf/ICCLOS_FacilityGuide_JAN_2012.pdf

...("Statute"), prohibits, with certain exceptions, a political subdivision from regulating any matter pertaining to firearms ...

...Statute does provide for you, as a promoter ...in the CIB facility that you have licensed ...to, in your discretion, establish rules of conduct or admission to your Events that include restrictions on Firearms

Per IU Policy
    http://www.iu.edu/~uhrs/policies/archive_dec2015/University-Wide_Policies/firearms_weapons.pdf

No scary firearms allowed ...Violations of this policy by anyone not a member of the Indiana University community will result in removal from Indiana University property. Legal prohibitions regarding physical presence on campus/trespassing may also be pursued...

PS - Hope I can get there from Fort Wayne with the mess of the Indy Mini going on Saturday too. Game plan is to use I-70 and work my way north to the parking and convention center.

PSS - Hope they provide a safe place for me in case all those graduation robes start looking like KKK robes and I start to feel uncomfortable. Maybe I will just hold my wife's hand for comfort.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    You are legally allowed to carry. IU is not a political subdivision of the state they are a state-chartered organization so they can set their own rules. If they catch you all they can do is ask you to leave.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Funny I am up here in Ft Wayne this week teaching.
    When my son graduated from Purdue I was dressed in the same business attire shirt and tie, slacks and shoes I am wearing now....
    i had a Glovk-27 in a De Santis Apache ankle holster, and sitting there with everybody else in the convention center that day, crossed my left leg over my right knee to be comfy and my son in law says ...PSSST, your Glock is showing!!!!
    so? I said, and he said well you don't want folks around you to get nervous about you carrying.
    I readjusted myself for his concern and all was well. But, I learned about CC in that other folks do sometimes think differently about things and when my youngest graduated from nursing school there too, I kept CONCEALMENT at all times in my head as I watched the show.
    Hard to break the "what do I care" mentality in my case.
    Have a safe trip!!!

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Raising up an old thread here. Has anyone attended a recent event at the convention center. Wife and I will be attending a girls vball tourney there later on today. Do they wand or otherwise search ppl/handbags? Wife was just looking on their website and noticed a "no firearms" on their info page. She and I want to be able to CC inside the center.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Always depends on who is hosting the event. The Convention Center itself MAY NOT have a policy on the carry of firearms.

Where on their website does it say "no firearms"?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can't check with her now. She is ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Well, wake her up, man! This is IMPORTANT BUSINESS! :laugh:

Actually, not that important.

Can't remember exactly how the IC is worded now, but.... unless you are attending an event where the facility is leased by the school, the worse that can happen is being asked to leave (trespass). So, if this is an IHSAA event (for example), you are fine. If it is a SCHOOL event, I believe you are much less fine (as an attendee).

Is this the Central Zone Invitational? If so, this is not a "school" event at all. Not even all "school" volleyball teams. Just some kids, playing a sport. Carry on....

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Dang, choked on my coffee reading your reply! Ok, poked her, woke her, got growled at but told her it was important business. She said she was looking at some q&a site. Probably some site like trip advisor. And, yes, this is the central zone inv. And thank you, kind sir for your reply. Carry on we shall.

Top Bottom