• ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Foley's podcast is out there to view

IMO, Jack's focus is more of a "big government", "big sponsors, big money" type of thing and that doesn't benefit the local club or local shooter

Mike's plan is a more focused plan on helping the membership and the clubs, which is what this organization is about.

less than 5% of the membership shoot Nationals and less than 20% shoot Level 3 matches

There are lots of things broken, but it isn't production division and it isn't L10
    Jack has alot of good qualities, but IMO Mike's plan is better suited for what the organization needs right now

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If 80% of USPSA shooters just shoot club matches and maybe a state match per year, and I could see this being correct. What else needs to be done for those shooters. For a $40 membership they get 6 issues of a magazine, a classification system, and cheap club matches. What does USPSA need to do for those people that they are not doing now? I like the idea of the membership controlling the organization but what more can one expect for $40?

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I've been involved for the last 3 years and this is my first serious year. Being newer I'm still on the outside looking in to some extent. Would the match directors involved here think that the USPSA offering grants to help pay for targets, steel and stage props would be helpful? I think it would be nice to see the organization invest in the grassroots more. If the organization shows a profit then keep a financial cushion and dump the rest back into the clubs.

i think the 2 day format like what is going on at ACC will allow the sport to grow somewhat. Growth for the sake of growth is an odd idea to me. I'm proud to have always been in sports that are on the fringe. I think taking care of what we have now and making it better is what is needed. Growth will come out of that.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    First, I haven't watched either podcast. will get to them this weekend...

I wouldn't sweat the turtle target thing. He can't just make that change, the BoD would have to make the rule change.

I don't like the mentality of voting for a candidate who offers to hand out the most stuff. I don't care if it's federal healthcare or uspsa targets for startup clubs. The idea of uspsa giving away stuff to new clubs, etc makes me feel like Acorn should be running their campaign. what can they do for the organization, not for ME.

Do we need more clubs? Is that where we need to grow? I don't see that as an issue, personally. The biggest hurdle/risk for most club matches is having enough help to make it happen. More clubs only spreads out and thins out the volunteer force. I don't like the idea of the organization pushing for more clubs just so the shoot-n-scooters can keep their drive time shorter. If a region has demand for another club it'll happen naturally, it doesn't need artificial support.

I want a candidate who will first execute on what was promised a couple years ago. Where is our remodeled website? where are our more frequent classifier updates? where is the uspsa app they talked about? why is the organization still reliant on the generosity of 3rd party app developers for it's most commonly used scoring system? why aren't nats locations/dates locked in a minimum of 12 months in advance (pathetic they had to postpone the steel nationals this late). why are rules being put into effect before they are published?

I don't want handouts and rule change suggestions, I want to know how they're going to make **** happen, and keep it working; it's an executive position we're talking about here.

If I wanted to see uspsa partner w/ industry in any area, it would be the merger of our scoring app onto a timer. They could work w/ CED or DA or someone to help make that happen, and make it work w/ a uspsa app/website. but that's pie in the sky stuff. they might need to buy rights to practiscore. I fear in a few years our current system will be like the palms... all it will take is the app developers to move on to something that makes them real $, and we'll be stuck trying to shoehorn their last release into whatever devices we can find off ebay that still supports it (yes, I get the app model is better than the palms, but it's still a valid concern; the android development is already falling behind the iOS versions in capabilities; nooks are getting harder to find and other systems are more $). At least now we could fall back on paper/EZWin; we won't have that fallback option in a couple years (unless again we scrounge ebay for old XP or Win 7 computers). They need tighter control of their destiny here, imo. software sustainability is a big deal.

just some random surly thoughts

-rvb

Last edited:

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side

I wouldn't sweat the turtle target thing. He can't just make that change, the BoD would have to make the rule change.

I don't like the mentality of voting for a candidate who offers to hand out the most stuff. I don't care if it's federal healthcare or uspsa targets for startup clubs. The idea of uspsa giving away stuff to new clubs, etc makes me feel like Acorn should be running their campaign. what can they do for the organization, not for ME.

Do we need more clubs? Is that where we need to grow? I don't see that as an issue, personally. The biggest hurdle/risk for most club matches is having enough help to make it happen. More clubs only spreads out and thins out the volunteer force. I don't like the idea of the organization pushing for more clubs just so the shoot-n-scooters can keep their drive time shorter. If a region has demand for another club it'll happen naturally, it doesn't need artificial support.

I want a candidate who will first execute on what was promised a couple years ago. Where is our remodeled website? where are our more frequent classifier updates? where is the uspsa app they talked about? why is the organization still reliant on the generosity of 3rd party app developers for it's most commonly used scoring system? why aren't nats locations/dates locked in a minimum of 12 months in advance (pathetic they had to postpone the steel nationals this late). why are rules being put into effect before they are published?

I don't want handouts and rule change suggestions, I want to know how they're going to make **** happen, and keep it working; it's an executive position we're talking about here.

If I wanted to see uspsa partner w/ industry in any area, it would be the merger of our scoring app onto a timer. They could work w/ CED or DA or someone to help make that happen, and make it work w/ a uspsa app/website. but that's pie in the sky stuff. they might need to buy rights to practiscore. I fear in a few years our current system will be like the palms... all it will take is the app developers to move on to something that makes them real $, and we'll be stuck trying to shoehorn their last release into whatever devices we can find off ebay that still supports it (yes, I get the app model is better than the palms, but it's still a valid concern; the android development is already falling behind the iOS versions in capabilities; nooks are getting harder to find and other systems are more $). At least now we could fall back on paper/EZWin; we won't have that fallback option in a couple years (unless again we scrounge ebay for old XP or Win 7 computers). They need tighter control of their destiny here, imo. software sustainability is a big deal.

-rvb

All good points but your thoughts on margins going back in to the local clubs i disagree with. Its not a handout. If the organization has extra money and a comfortable cash cushion then they should invest back in to the sport. Lots of sports do it. The organization is there to support the grassroots. You are right about volunteers and the current systems working properly.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    All good points but your thoughts on margins going back in to the local clubs i disagree with. Its not a handout. If the organization has extra money and a comfortable cash cushion then they should invest back in to the sport. Lots of sports do it. The organization is there to support the grassroots. You are right about volunteers and the current systems working properly.

I could maybe get behind the idea of "investing back" so long as it's available to all clubs, not just start ups. There are props I would like to add to our small club, can we get in on the action? I have decades-old props falling apart that I'm trying to replace as funds allow, can we use it for that? Maybe I would need to drop my affiliation for a season then come back as a "new" club to qualify?

Instead of "investing back" into the clubs, if they are swimming in that much $ how about just charging less to affiliate and for activity fees? Then I'd have more $ to invest in putting on a better match.

-rvb

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    I could maybe get behind the idea of "investing back" so long as it's available to all clubs, not just start ups. There are props I would like to add to our small club, can we get in on the action? I have decades-old props falling apart that I'm trying to replace as funds allow, can we use it for that? Maybe I would need to drop my affiliation for a season then come back as a "new" club to qualify?

Instead of "investing back" into the clubs, if they are swimming in that much $ how about just charging less to affiliate and for activity fees? Then I'd have more $ to invest in putting on a better match.

-e[/

i think either way is a good way to help all clubs as long as they meet a certain criteria. In fact a new club would maybe not be eligible for 2 years or something. I don't think they are swimming but there cash to pump back in. Anyway would be fine.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

-e[/

i think either way is a good way to help all clubs as long as they meet a certain criteria. In fact a new club would maybe not be eligible for 2 years or something. I don't think they are swimming but there cash to pump back in. Anyway would be fine.

Mike's plan was for startups.
    If there's extra $, there is a whole pile of work that needs completed at HQ. Handouts to clubs should be at the bottom of the list, IMO.

-rvb

Josey1972

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    North Side
    Mike's plan was for startups.
    If there's extra $, there is a whole pile of work that needs completed at HQ. Handouts to clubs should be at the bottom of the list, IMO.

-rvb

whatever is is fine as long as the funds are being put to good use for the main body of the organization. You know what they need to do to is get the store opened back up. Get some swag floating around.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

-rvb

Yes to all of that.

Top Bottom