• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't get swords. Don't get me wrong-- they're cool. But the idea of fighting someone with a swinging 2' razor blade scares me. :nailbite:

MEET MY DAUGHTER, she's captain of the High School Fencing Team 2 weeks ago she broke a saber over the head of a kid during a tournmanet. And the blades are 3' long, not 2' long. While not razor sharp, if you are not wearing a protective lame they will slice right into you. One of the kids I coached a couple years ago was "run through" with a saber, entered his chest on the right side of his rib cage and exited out his side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIMfniaOMNY
    This was when she was just a sophomore, she's even faster and stronger now. When she was in 7th grade she started fencing the college kids at Purdue in their Spring Fling Open Tournament. In 8th grade she fenced against the fencing team for the school at which she is now team captain, and beat them. A few weeks ago she fenced in a tournament and won 19 bouts in a row.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am getting a M1913 Patton Calvary Sabre to strap to the side of my Alice rucksack. It's the last working US army sword. The styling is modern and looks like the bayonets from the era

Just remember this thing was meant to be used from horseback at gallop!

$T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihqbyBQm,Qmw%219w%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    "I bet none of them will challenge me to a sword fight."

LULWUT

Right. Doesn't he advocate high quality gear in at least every other video?

Sure no one wants to get hit with a $5 cheap sword, no on wants to get shot with a $50 .22lr either, but if someone was touting a $50 .22lr he'd mock them for using junk.

Most of his antics don't bother me, I get it, but for some reason this video did. :dunno:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am getting a M1913 Patton Calvary Sabre to strap to the side of my Alice rucksack. It's the last working US army sword. The styling is modern and looks like the bayonets from the era

Just remember this thing was meant to be used from horseback at gallop!

$T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihqbyBQm,Qmw%219w%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine...

Calvary is where Jesus was crucified.

Cavalry is guys riding horses.

People like to use these words interchangeably and it drives me bonkers.

I'm sure yours is just a typo though.

Also, I did some fencing when I was younger. Mostly watches...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

MEET MY DAUGHTER, she's captain of the High School Fencing Team 2 weeks ago she broke a saber over the head of a kid during a tournmanet. And the blades are 3' long, not 2' long. While not razor sharp, if you are not wearing a protective lame they will slice right into you. One of the kids I coached a couple years ago was "run through" with a saber, entered his chest on the right side of his rib cage and exited out his side.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIMfniaOMNY
    This was when she was just a sophomore, she's even faster and stronger now. When she was in 7th grade she started fencing the college kids at Purdue in their Spring Fling Open Tournament. In 8th grade she fenced against the fencing team for the school at which she is now team captain, and beat them. A few weeks ago she fenced in a tournament and won 19 bouts in a row.

Congratulations to your daughter!! That is awesome.

It is great that schools are able to offer things like this now. Although getting stabbed seems like something that would ruin your entire day.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I did a fair amount of fencing as a kid. We always had some combination of goats, sheep and cattle that tried to escape if the fence was in disrepair. I never found the need to carry a sword though.

Top Bottom