Jan '12 1500: Gun runner or just paranoid?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nhgluff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    What kind of Krinkov is this an SBR or does it have a extended can or barrel. Selling an SBR and not transferring on a form 4 is illegal anyway.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    "I guess I just went to torture myself. Kinda like going to a strip club!:):"

whoa...you mean gentlemen's club don't you? ;) If there is a guy in the bathroom passing out cologne, you know it's a classy joint!

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    Did you give him the opportunity to go to the vehicle with him to see his license? It's fun to hear people dig holes with lies.:D

Another possibility is he might be legal to own a gun but have recently had his license suspended or revoked.

Either way better safe than sorry. You did the right thing:yesway:

I had my license suspended a few years back and went to the 1500. Even though it was legal for me to own a firearm, I did not have a drivers license. I guess I just went to torture myself. Kinda like going to a strip club!:):

I asked him if he wanted to go get his ID. He said he parked too far away. He was definetly squirming. As soon as he didnt reach for his wallet that was obviously in his back pocket i knew he wouldnt produce anything.

I Love Bourbon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    The BATFE is ALWAYS there working the show... It's extremely common for them to approach me and attempt to draw me into a conversation concerning illegal conversions of weapons to mg's. I'm a small time exibitor with 2-3 tables and usually have lots of mg parts as that's the kind of stuff I like and tend to know more about. The last time one of them approached me he simply asked me "Can you show me how to turn my Marlin Camp .45 into a machine gun?" From that point the conversation went down hill fast, I'v also had them approach me and try to buy a black rifle, the guy that approached me was obviously of middle eastern decent and I told him I'd be happy to sell it to him but I had to transfer it through a dealer since I wasn't sure of his immigration status or visa etc. HIs response was "I have enough guns with paper now I want some that don't have any".
    Keep walking habib...

They're at every show and there's usually a number of them working the show, women too, so just because your potential buyer might be a female don't drop your guard. Arresting you and taking you to jail for some BS ruling ruins your life, to them it's just another file in the file cabinet.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I agree you shouldn't have sold without id, but honestly the ltch is overkill. Whenever I see someone requiring one I pass regardless of the deal. People are trying to say that they are covering their butt's by seeing one and its bubcus. The same goes with signing a bill of sale. It means very little and just feels like I am being treated as a criminal.

If indiana law required it I would happily do so, but until such a day comes I just feel like I am being treated like a criminal.

CJK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Indy
    IMHO you did the right thing. No matter what anyone else says, it's your gun and you get to sell it how you want. Whether you take ID, LTCH, both, or just their word. It's your ass if you sell it to the wrong person.

If that guy wanted it he could / would have asked you to hold it while he goes to his car for his ID.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Given that it is illegal under state and federal law to sell a firearm to an individual with a felony conviction, how is this bupkis?

Is there not a "knowingly" in there? Genuine question; I honestly don't know, but I thought there was.

Is selling a firearm to an individual with a felony conviction a strict liability issue, or does mens rea come into play?

ETA: Not asking for legal advice; please don't send me a bill. :D:D:D

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Might be off subject but I parked directly behind the main building and there was a police car in front of me that had two occupants in the back seat and a officer in the passanger seat. A minute later another officer came out of the back of the building and put a third guy in the back seat and they all drove off.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Man......you guys have all the fun.:( I was just worried about not stumbling over someone else, having someone pick my pocket, or keeping creeps from purposely bumping into my wife.....:): Maybe next gunshow.;)

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Is there not a "knowingly" in there? Genuine question; I honestly don't know, but I thought there was.

Is selling a firearm to an individual with a felony conviction a strict liability issue, or does mens rea come into play?

ETA: Not asking for legal advice; please don't send me a bill. :D:D:D

Bingo... It says it is illegal to sell to someone if you have reasonable cause to believe that they are prohibited... Not that it is illegal to sell to someone if you haven't verified that they aren't prohibited... That's why you hear about undercover agents making comments that they are felons or can't pass a background check etc... It is not your responsibility to qualify them... If that was the intent of the law, then it would require an LTCH or background check... You have a responsibility to not go through with the sale if they give you reason to believe they are prohibited... Otherwise as long as you believe that they meet the basic requirements then you can go through with the sale... Indiana's LTCH would be so easy to counterfeit that I don't see it adding any value to the transaction... Especially for a long gun... :soapbox:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I thought this was going to be about the ATF illegally allowing guns to walk across the border... oh wait, maybe it still is....

Top Bottom