• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I just want to brag on my kids for a minute- hopefully this doesn't come around to bite me (you with children know what bragging sometimes does:)).

My kids are 6, 7 and 8. The two oldest are boys, the youngest is my little girl. My wife and I have chosen the path of "full disclosure" when it comes to firearms in the house. My standing policy is that anytime my kids want to see our guns, all they have to do is let me know. They especially like seeing and handling "their" guns. My little girl has a model 10 snub coming her way. My middle son has a model 66 4" and my oldest a 686 4" (if I can part with it- I keed, I keed). They also dig MY 629 6", just because its big (and awesome:D). As to long guns, they like our two 1894 Marlins and the S12.

So yesterday my oldest says "can we look at the guns, Daddy?" Naturally I say they can and we get them out. Every session like this begins with a lesson on the 4 rules, followed by them each in turn handling the guns according to the four rules, followed by role playing where I deliberately break one of the four rules and they have to point out what I did.

So here's what I have to brag on.

Oldest Boy: While looking through the guns he eyes an M&P340 in its Desanti Nemesis holster. He asks to see it and I said, "sure, but that one is loaded, I carry it all the time." He then says, "you know, that's OK, I'd rather not handle it just yet." This is good.

Middle Boy: We made a trip to Whittakers yesterday to grab my oldest his first rifle. As he is trying a few on, he looses muzzle discipline (which seems required action by even the adults I see in gunshops). When he does my middle boy says "uh, you just pointed the muzzle at Daddy." This is good (that my middle boy pointed it out, not that I was swept by my oldest).

Daughter: While handling her model 10 I was just impressed with her strict muzzle discipline. Even while checking the cylinder she always kept it pointed down, finger off trigger and all her movements were straight, no sweeping around. Again, she's 6. This is good.

I'm blessed with my children for a lot of reasons, this is just another one. This stuff makes for a happy and proud Daddy.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Nothing wrong with bragging about your kids! I know I do it as much as possible! Good discipline in known to be safe situations (handling at home unloaded) should translate into situations when there is obvious danger (range or hunting). Congrats on the mindful children.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Nothing wrong with bragging about your kids! I know I do it as much as possible! Good discipline in known to be safe situations (handling at home unloaded) should translate into situations when there is obvious danger (range or hunting). Congrats on the mindful children.

Thanks! You mention hunting, which we had a long talk about yesterday. It started out with me reminding them of how bullets don't necessarily stop in people but go on through (thus, the rule). We walked through the house and I showed them how a shot from our bedroom could make it to their rooms. This in turn opened up a chance for me to tell them about shots on deer and so forth I had to skip because I just didn't know what was behind the animal. For some reason this REALLY fascinated them. It was a good talk.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    + 1 for taking the curiosity and mystery out of firearms :yesway:

If more parents took the time to do this with their children there would be fewer accidental shootings by kids!

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    excellent training going on. Glad to see that basic firearm instruction is still going on. All my kids are grown and out of the house. Working with the grandkids now. Went to visit last weekend and it only cost me 140 rdns of 7.62 and 100 of 9mm. Going to have to start reloading again!!! Keep up the good work, one of the most rewarding things you can do with you'r family is build a shared interest, not to mention keeping them safe in the world we live in.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Middle Boy: We made a trip to Whittakers yesterday to grab my oldest his first rifle. As he is trying a few on, he looses muzzle discipline (which seems required action by even the adults I see in gunshops). .

I see more adults with sloppy muzzle discipline at gun shops and ranges than I can count. It really pisses me off:xmad: My kids are also very good at muzzle discipline and whenever they see someone who isn't they visibly cringe as do I.

+1 on raising safety conscious young'ns:rockwoot:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Congratulations. You are obviously proud. I do not blame you. My daughters first trip to the range only had 1 issue. Laying the gun down with ejection port down. But was empty and locked back. Not bad for the first time. Never swept anyone, always pointed down range. Like you I am proud. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom