• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys,

A good friend of mine who live in Missouri is interested in one of my firearms and I want to make sure we both do what needs to be done properly so nobody ends up in jail or anything stupid like that.

I am pretty sure I have to ship it to an FFL since it's cross state lines and the FFL will have to transfer the weapon to them. Beyond that, I have no idea what is necessary.

I would presume they will need to go into the gun shop and let them know I'm shipping it to them, then I would contact them and make sure we're all on the same page.

Would they let him fill out the 4473 before I ship it out, or would the gun have to be there for him to do it? He doesn't have anything that would preclude him from owning the weapon but I'm just not sure about how it is best handled.

Also, as far as shipping the weapon - do I need to do anything special? I won't be shipping ammunition, just the gun, it's case, and a few magazines.

Sorry for the newbish questions :). Most of the information I've found here pertains to FFL and FTF transfers within the state but then again maybe I'm blind.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Sorry, just being a S/A. :D

You have to ship it through either UPS or FedEx. It must be in s sturdy box and you have to tell them that it is a firearm. It does cost more. Yes, you have to ship it to the FFL. They will do the 4473 once they receive the weapon.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    You can also take it to a local gunshop and have them ship it to his FFL. Probably cheaper than shipping it yourself even with whatever fee they charge since it could go through Priority Mail.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

Have your buddy locate an FFL nearest him who is willing to do the transfer for him.

You can A) either get buddy to get a copy of their paperwork or B) you can call them to get it.

Next, find a shop close to you who is willing to ship the firearm to buddy's FFL. While not required, this is generally the least expensive way to do it, as an FFL to FFL shipment can utilize the USPS (Individuals shipping firearms via common carrier = carrier requests over-night shipping = $$$$$$$)

Your buddy fills out the 4473 once his FFL lets him know that the firearm has arrived.

If you're not 100% certain that your buddy can pass the NICS check....don't sell the firearm to him. It'll just cost you more money to have it shipped back to you. AND you'd have to do a 4473 yourself just to get "your" gun back.

-J-

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Next, find a shop close to you who is willing to ship the firearm to buddy's FFL. While not required, this is generally the least expensive way to do it, as an FFL to FFL shipment can utilize the USPS (Individuals shipping firearms via common carrier = carrier requests over-night shipping = $$$$$$$)
    I'll do some comparisons. I don't mind paying a bit more to ship it if I have to for sheer convenience.

If you're not 100% certain that your buddy can pass the NICS check....don't sell the firearm to him. It'll just cost you more money to have it shipped back to you. AND you'd have to do a 4473 yourself just to get "your" gun back.
    He won't have any issues, just wasn't sure when it was handled in the process.

Thanks for the help :).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hey guys,

A good friend of mine who live in Missouri is interested in one of my firearms and I want to make sure we both do what needs to be done properly so nobody ends up in jail or anything stupid like that.

Good!

I am pretty sure I have to ship it to an FFL since it's cross state lines and the FFL will have to transfer the weapon to them. Beyond that, I have no idea what is necessary.

Nothing.

I would presume they will need to go into the gun shop and let them know I'm shipping it to them, then I would contact them and make sure we're all on the same page.
    You need to get a copy of the dealer's FFL01.

Would they let him fill out the 4473 before I ship it out, or would the gun have to be there for him to do it? He doesn't have anything that would preclude him from owning the weapon but I'm just not sure about how it is best handled.
    The Form 4473 is filled out at the time of transfer, right before the NICS phone call.
    Also, as far as shipping the weapon - do I need to do anything special? I won't be shipping ammunition, just the gun, it's case, and a few magazines.
    If it's a long gun, UPS is fine. For handguns, you may want to find a local dealer to ship it USPS.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Another thing to consider is that if you choose to ship it yourself have your buddy make sure when he sets it up with the FFL of his choosing that they don't have a problem with receiving transfers from a private individual.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Another thing to consider is that if you choose to ship it yourself have your buddy make sure when he sets it up with the FFL of his choosing that they don't have a problem with receiving transfers from a private individual.
    Yeah, trying to get it all sorted out ahead of time so I don't run into any issues.

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    alot of deals wont accept transfers of private citizens such as yourself. and 50 dollars to overnight a pistol seems overpriced to me. you would be better off just going to a local shop and asking them to ship it for you to your buddies ffl. it will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    LOL, if somebody on here that has an FFL doesn't mind helping me out that would be great, but if not - no big deal. Don't plan on doing this often :).

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Its not Missouri, but I sold a gun to my brother in Michigan and had it shipped there.
    Took it to a local gun shop and asked what I needed to do to get it there.
    I think I made a label for the box, and Im pretty sure I packed it, but they shipped it. Dont think it cost too much, as they do it all the time.
    When his local shop got it, he just went in and went through their process to buy a gun, and that was that.
    Id imagine it would be exactly the same for you....

Top Bottom