• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    So I just watched a documentary called "Remington Under Fire" on CNBC that aired in 2010. Basically it summarized people that have claimed that the Remington 700 fired without the trigger being pulled. There was video evidence of this happening and numerous accounts of people being shot. The whole time I was thinking that all these accidental shootings were caused by violating rule 1, "Never point a gun at anything you don't want destroyed". In any case, I was wondering what experiences others have had with the Remington 700? I have one myself, though I have not shot it extensively. I have never had the gun "go off" without pulling the trigger. Has anyone experienced a discharge with the Remington 700 without pulling the trigger? I was just curious to hear other people's opinions and experiences.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Remington did a rebuttal video that was very well made. I've never had one go off unintended but then again I don't allow mine to get rusty, filled with dirt or debris or let unqualified folks tinker with my triggers.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The most important point in Remington's rebuttal that has gone unanswered (as far as I know) by CNBC is that every rifle that has malfunctioned, was tinkered with in some fashion prior to the unintended discharge.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I may be too cynical, but I tend to believe that there are 3 side to this: CNBC's truth, Remington's truth, and what really happened. I think CNBC has an agenda. I think Remington has a business to run and keep profits up, and I think the truth of the matter lies somewhere inbetween. I don't think the 700's "just go off" as often as CNBC claim nor as rarely as Remington claims. JMHO. I could be wrong.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    The interview with Mike walker to me was the only credible part of the show.

It is entirely possible that some guns have gone off without touching the trigger,but what was this mother doing pointing a gun at her child?

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I may be too cynical, but I tend to believe that there are 3 side to this: CNBC's truth, Remington's truth, and what really happened. I think CNBC has an agenda. I think Remington has a business to run and keep profits up, and I think the truth of the matter lies somewhere inbetween. I don't think the 700's "just go off" as often as CNBC claim nor as rarely as Remington claims. JMHO. I could be wrong.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. I thought the documentary seemed really biased. I did not know that there was a rebuttal video put up by Remington, I'll have to look around to see if I can find it as I'd be interested in watching it. I also agree with the rest of you that the real problem is people not obeying common gun safety dogma, which is don't point the rifle at anyone/anything you don't want destroyed.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    This is pretty much what I was thinking. I thought the documentary seemed really biased. I did not know that there was a rebuttal video put up by Remington, I'll have to look around to see if I can find it as I'd be interested in watching it. I also agree with the rest of you that the real problem is people not obeying common gun safety dogma, which is don't point the rifle at anyone/anything you don't want destroyed.

Yeah... so.... Remington 700's are very dangerous things and in order to help you keep you and your loved ones safe I'm willing to take any/all of them that you may own off your hands and make sure they are never a threat to your safety again...;)

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    In the past I've dinked with Remington triggers and had them to the point that they would go off if you just slightly raised the bolt handle. The same with Timney triggers.
    I'm suprised that Remington still makes a trigger that is so easily adjustable.
    You really need to know what you're doing if you adjust one. At the time I didn't, and most other people don't either. That's when the problems start.

Last edited:

mattdennis3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Lebanon

Agreed. The real story is buried in the weeds between the two sides. You can see remington's rebuttal and other videos here.

Remington® Model 700™ Network: Video Library

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am sure there are two sides, but in my opinion, Remington should have spent the money to make the inexpensive and appropriate changes a long time ago.

I have heard of many people who defend and love their 700, I respect that, but personally I do not plan to own one. There are many weapons that do not have the same controversy that are equally effective.

My :twocents:...

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009

Same here as well.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am sure there are two sides, but in my opinion, Remington should have spent the money to make the inexpensive and appropriate changes a long time ago.

I have heard of many people who defend and love their 700, I respect that, but personally I do not plan to own one. There are many weapons that do not have the same controversy that are equally effective.

So what you are saying is that you really think there is only one side to the story.

You may want to rent a Michael Moore film to balance out your opinions on a few other subjects.

My :twocents:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

So what you are saying is that you really think there is only one side to the story.

You may want to rent a Michael Moore film to get both sides of other stories, and balance out your opinions on a few other subjects.

My :twocents:

Top Bottom