Just when you think MGs make a lot of brass.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Thank you for the in-depth reply! That is an awesome summary.
    The change in early 80s is the above-mentioned Reagan shake-up?
    A very high percentage, yes. A lot of new, very capable equipment (Abrams, Bradleys, MLRS among others) was being fielded in meaningful numbers. Money was available for all units for more training, maintenance, and other niceties.
    I saw some improvements by the end of 82, by end of 83 it was in full swing, not just in the higher readiness units but also the REMFs.
    In addition to all the new gear, the quality of the average soldier also got better. Most of the dopers were on their way out by 83, to be replaced by somebody more intelligent, more motivated, and better disciplined.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    85-86 at Zweibruken AB, I was actually given a broomstick to "simulate" a rifle during an exercise......Running around our P.P.I.F. in MOPP gear with a broomstick.....
    1987-1990 in Swaebisch Gmuend. Man I hated MOPP gear but full disclosure we actually did have rifles. I can tell you from first hand experience you cannot drive a tent peg in the ground with an A1 buttstock. It will leave a hole in the side of it. I maybe saw it happen to a buddy of mine.

Top Bottom