• ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Supreme Court Begins New Term - AOL Hot Searches

According to the article, Kagan is set to recuse herself from 25 cases this fall. This is ~HALF of the cases being heard. My first impulse was to be upset that she is getting full pay for half work...then I thought a bit further. She's as unqualified as they come, and as dangerous to the Constitution and our freedom (if not moreso) as Obama. Perhaps it's GOOD that she is recusing herself from so many cases.

Thoughts?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    She's recusing herself because of her prior involvement with the cases as Solicitor General. Why is this a bad thing?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    This is why all of a sudden Patrick Leahy (D) wants to pass legislation allowing retired justices to "fill-in" on cases where a justice has recused themselves. While it may or may not be a good idea, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't propose this if it were Thomas or Scalia who had to recuse themselves for a large majority of this term's cases.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    This is why all of a sudden Patrick Leahy (D) wants to pass legislation allowing retired justices to "fill-in" on cases where a justice has recused themselves. While it may or may not be a good idea, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't propose this if it were Thomas or Scalia who had to recuse themselves for a large majority of this term's cases.

This^ He is desperate to keep the number of leftist votes up on the court. Also, it reflects very poorly on Kagan that so many of her former decisions are being appealed to the Supreme Court and that the court has decided that those cases are worth reviewing and possibly overturning.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    She's recusing herself because of her prior involvement with the cases as Solicitor General. Why is this a bad thing?

On the surface, perhaps it's not. But as a wise Latina woman, I fully expect her to be able to look past any potential areas of concerns and concentrate fully on only the law and her current position as a Supreme Court Justice. (Should that have been in purple?)

If anything, it goes to show the poor judgment and forethought of the nominating president and the asinine logic of the senators voting to confirm her. Apparently advise and consent doesn't mean what it used to.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Im kinda shocked that she is doing it to begin with. It's stupid to have nominated a judge who is involved with half of the cases and they must recluse themselves. What idiots

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    On the surface, perhaps it's not. But as a wise Latina woman, I fully expect her to be able to look past any potential areas of concerns and concentrate fully on only the law and her current position as a Supreme Court Justice. (Should that have been in purple?)

If anything, it goes to show the poor judgment and forethought of the nominating president and the asinine logic of the senators voting to confirm her. Apparently advise and consent doesn't mean what it used to.

Sotomayer is the wise Latina woman, Kagen is the unqualified white lady

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Im kinda shocked that she is doing it to begin with. It's stupid to have nominated a judge who is involved with half of the cases and they must recluse themselves. What idiots

This might depend upon your viewpoint. If a ruling comes down to a 4/4 split I believe the case gets referred to a federal judge at some level, which would probably fall to the left knowing how some judges like to be activists first, and judges second.

Don't think the initial appearance is based on doing the right thing. It's more like three dimensional chess.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    This might depend upon your viewpoint. If a ruling comes down to a 4/4 split I believe the case gets referred to a federal judge at some level, which would probably fall to the left knowing how some judges like to be activists first, and judges second.

Close, but not quite. If SCOTUS has a 4-4 decision, then the appellate court decision stands---since the lower court's decision can't be overturned it is affirmed by default...

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal-- it's an demanded expectation.

WWIIIDefender

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Saudi Arabia
    I wish she would have recused herself forever. I don't want her on the supreme court, I can here it now, Knock, knock, knock... No more free speach the toad has spoken.

Top Bottom