• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I ran across a Kahr MK9 with Crimson Trace grips. Thought it looked like a nice EDC gun.

What are the thoughts on this gun / setup?

Thanks

Mark

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    If I remember the MK9 as being the metal frame version of the PM9 (polymer frame) it is a great pistol. I have the PM9 and it is my constant companion. I trust my life to mine.

Have put about 2000 rounds through it without any issues, and shocked the heck out of myself when I was actually able to put it on paper at 25 yards if I concentrated hard enough.

Add a CT grip any you have the ultimate pocket protection!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think that for the most part, Kahr makes fantastic firearms.

Their metal-framed guns are generally regarded as being "better" than their polymer stuff. And of the steel guns, the full-sized ones are generally regarded as being a tick better than the sub-compact. (sub compact steel being better than sub compact polymer...)

If you have a chance to shoot the MK-9 before buying/trading, please do so. There might be a reason it's for sale. And if you can shoot it, try it with several bullet weights/profiles if you can.

-J-

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the input.

The gun has a little wear on it so I can tell it has been shot somewhat. Unfortunately, this is at a dealer, so I expect I will not be able to shoot it first. But he does treat me well...

Mark

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Kahr pretty much mandates a 200 round break in before carrying their pistols for self defense. Mine is about as tight now after 2000 rounds as it was when I bought it.

On the other hand mine looks brand new with almost no visible wear, so if you can see wear on the one you are looking at, look it over really closely to make sure it hasn't been abused.

You might ask the dealer if he/she has a return policy if the pistol proves to have problems when you do get a chance to shoot it.

Good luck, generally Kahrs are great pistols.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Kahrs are great, but the metal framed guns are HEAVY. I got rid of my k9 due to the weight, so I much prefer their poly guns; I had a very good PM40.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Weight is not really a big concern. I currently carry a Sig C3 and just want something smaller for summer carry and occasional pocket carry situations.

Mark

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I would steer you away from the MK9 and suggest a PM9. As others have said the all steel is heavy. Too heavy for a pocket in MHO.

If it has to go on a belt then I'd go bigger than a sub-compact.

The PM9 with CT is a easy pocket carry. I held off on Kahrs for a long time due to the wierd Moonie cult deal.

I wish I wouldn't have now.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I am torn on the whole pocket carry thing. About the only time I would pocket carry is when wearing shorts that don't have a good option for a belt. Otherwise, it would be a IWB belt carry with a smaller profile than my C3. But then, maybe I should be looking at 45's to keep it in the family...

Mark

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Well, I picked it up today. Traded in some other ones that I did not want/need anymore so it did not cost me anything out of pocket. Got it all cleaned up since the previous owner did not seem to clean it. Hope to shoot it this weekend!

Mark

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Well, I picked it up today. Traded in some other ones that I did not want/need anymore so it did not cost me anything out of pocket. Got it all cleaned up since the previous owner did not seem to clean it. Hope to shoot it this weekend!

Mark

:postpics:

But seriously, congrats. Post up a range report when you can! :ingo:

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Pics

Here are some pics I snapped...range report to follow later...

Mark

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Why'd you have to go and stab the poor thing!!!! :D :D :D :D

Seriously, congrats on your new to you Kahr!!! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Range Report

One word...Awesome!

For as tiny as this thing is, it is accurate as heck! Only put 35 rounds through it to finish off a box I had laying around, but pretty much shot out the center of my target at about 20 feet! I can't believe how little kick this thing has. You can easily stay on target between shots. Oh, and flawless performance...can't say that for the other gun I shot which will remain nameless...

I did not realize how much smaller this thing is than my Taurus PT709. Definitely going to look into a pocket holster as well as an IWB. Time to start surfing the web...

Mark

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    mshogren, my PM9 resides in a DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. Nobody knows I have it. Hides perfectly, and I am an itty bitty skinny thing!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom