• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have the PM9 and went to the range to test out some home defense rounds. As much as I tried to go slow, surprise break, slow trigger squeeze, pay attention to front sight blah blah blaah I had a REAL tough time getting 13 shots onto a 8.5"x11" piece of paper at 10 yards with any of the ammo's. There wasn't a big difference in the ammo but the size of my patterns made it hard to compare.
    My thought is that I obviously need more practice with this since I shoot the M&P 90% of the time and the trigger is extremely different.
    What would an expert, well practiced, experienced Kahr 9mm pistol shooter consider a good pattern at 10 yards with this pistol?
    FWIW I could easily get a 10 shot group into a 2" circle at 10 yards with the M&P 9 pro but I understand that they are extremely different pistols and I'm in no way trying to insinuate there would be a reason to compare the two.

gunsrfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    the pm9 only has a 3in barrel and a small frame to grip. At 10 yards I think your asking a lot from what I would call a belly gun.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have not put that many rounds through my PM9. However, at that short of a distance, I can shoot it as well as my Springfield TRP.

With that being said, the first mag, I put through that was scary!!!! I estimate the group at about 9 inches. I slowed down and took the time to learn the trigger just slow steady press until it literally was a surprise when the gun fired. After doing that for 2 more mags, MUCH BETTER. I don't know what it was but, you are right about the trigger, it's smooth but looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong.

nickl16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    my k40 seems fairly accurate once you get used to the trigger that was the big problem i had with it

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I don't have much problem keeping my PM9 on paper at 10 yards, and am happy that I can get at least 2 rounds per mag at 25 yards.

The PM9 is more of a 10 foot defensive pistol and does a great job at "OH SH#$" distances.

The old "practice practice practice" is the operative saying. I have put over 1000 rounds through my PM9 as I continue to work out with it.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I had the chance to shoot one at the range one time. My shots were a lot like yours, but the owner shot the middle out of a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper from 15 feet after a few mags. He had well over 500 rounds through the gun.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    I have owned a couple of Kahr's, and the triggers are the best to be had for a DAO semi auto. However, I have always found my self to be much more accurate at speed with an M&P or Glock. The DAO on the Kahr takes practice to master, and the Kahrs are very small pistols, so the practice that you put in with your M&P won't directly translate into accuracy with the Kahr. The only way to wring any accuracy out of them is to practice, practice, practice, until you've mastered the trigger.

If you can't get the hang of the DAO trigger, you might look into a Walther PPS. That's what I did, and I can shoot much faster and accurately with the PPS than I ever did with any Kahr. The PPS has the same style of trigger as the Glock or M&P, with a short reset. In fact, it feels like a single stack Glock, except for the mag release. I really like mine.

However, keep in mind the role of the Kahr. It's an up close defensive weapon, not something that you want to engage the mall shooter with. It will probably never measure up to your M&P in terms of accuracy at speed. It's more of an improvement over a snub nose revolver, not a replacement for a real combat pistol.

joshuametivier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Columbus
    You mentioned that you put many different loads through the pm9. Were they all the same grain? Maybe you need to adjust the bullet weight so the ratio can stabilize the bullet more effeciently on its way out..?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thanks guys, I've pretty much resolved that it is my inexperience with the gun that is the major malfunction at hand here. Great advice from all of you.

Top Bottom