• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just my humble opinion, I never "got" the karambit personally. I mean it looks cool but it always struck me as an agricultural tool first that could also be used for self defense. The same could be said of a rake or shovel or sai :mallninja: . The straight double edged dagger, on the other hand, has always been designed for pretty much one thing since the beginning - killing. I never understood why you would want something designed for superficial slashing when you could just carry something designed to get to the stuff behind the rib cage. I got heavy into this debate once before and I had one karambit fanboy telling me I didn't understand the concept of "defanging the snake". I asked him why not just stab the freaking snake?

Maybe it works better for some guys, who knows? If you're good with it and it works for you - go for it.

I agree with what you say on the straight double edged dagger.I carry one as a neck knife and this thing can pierce thru anything.It's scary.
    The karambit is designed for a different style of fighting.You cannot say than one is better than the other.
    It just depends what you do with it, where and how you aim and both can be very deadly.
    The design of the karambit blade makes it for very deep slashs, nothing superficial.
    A strike with a karambit to the neck would stop a fight just like a stab to the heart with a dagger.
    But im not looking at the best killing tool, I already have other weapons that I would use before I ever use a knife in a defensive situations.
    Im just wondering how that style of knife would work as a EDC utility knife.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    The karambit is designed for a different style of fighting.You cannot say than one is better than the other.

Actually the karambit was initially designed to dig roots and the martial art was built around the knife rather than a knife being designed from the ground up for the pure purpose of stopping life in an attacker. The kerambit strikes me as answering a question that was never asked. That was essentially my point.

But again, for some guys the karambit works for them. I say go for it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    For the money, The s&w is probably one of the better quality low end karambits. I think they are a great self defense knife for women. I am a knife snob and I carry moslty Emerson folders because of the wave feature on them. I carry the Emerson Karambit on my left side as a secondary blade. The CRKT bear claw is another excellent karambit. If you can find a spyderco folder karambit for under a $100.00 grab it because they have been discontiued for a few years now. A cheap knife will cut and kill someone, but it might get you cut in the process.

The Spyderco's are sweet, but really expensive anymore. I really like the grind, bigger finger hole, and aggressive curve to the blade.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's not like this blade shape hasn't been around for a long time. Can you say carpet knife? IMO, it's not popular for EDC because the blade shape isn't as versatile as other blade shapes.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I tend to look at a karambit style knife as a back up defensive blade as opposed to an edc utility blade. I carry an CRKT bear claw on my weak side as a backup if someone were to go for my firearm on the strong side. I also carry my main edc/defensive blade cliped in my strong side pocket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom