• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You know that the firearm cannot tell if it is shiney or dull right? I have seen some really tight groups shot by men who's .45 brass was almost black with powder and cast bullet lube stains. Shiney brass does look good. When police still used revolvers with ammo loops on their belts, they would handle their ammo with Vasoline on their fingers to keep the brass from turning green as they worked out in the weather. Nickle plated brass stays more shiney without the help.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Well since it is a vague question I'll take a different approach. When I shoot at the range, I lay out a 8x12 blue tarp with cheap tent stakes at the corners to catch my brass and keep it from getting dirty.

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    if you don't want to buy a case cleaner, you can use some stuff called Flitz. It comes in a tube like toothpaste. A little goes a long way any will put a polish on most anything.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    hahah I meant after you shoot it. I don't reload but I'd like to sell the old brass.

So it doesn't matter if its that dirty?

If you're looking to sell it to a reloader, "dirty" isn't going to bother most of them a whole lot. They're going to just throw it in their tumbler for a while before resizing it and reloading it. Now, if it's heavily tarnished, that's a different deal.

I regularly load cases that are at least 10 years old, been fired a whole bunch of times, and are permanently stained. You can't tell the difference between those and once-fired that was handled with cotton gloves. ;)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Is there a real reason to tumble and clean brass?

Gunner

Only if you are going to re-use it! Clean brass is important for reloading. dirt/debris is rough on dies and weapons. Shiny brass is not really important to the function of the reloading process or function in the weapon but it sure looks pretty! I admit, I am a shiny brass person but it not necessary.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Is there a real reason to tumble and clean brass?

Gunner

I am not a shiny brass person, but I DO insist that it's clean and free of any debris before reloading it. That's just common sense, if you want your dies and rifle chamber to stay in good shape.

One thing I will do, if I'm trimming brass to length, is while it's already chucked up in the hand-held drill, for use with the Lee trimming system, I will go ahead and hit the neck/shoulder area with a fine steel wool. This makes that part of the case shiny, so it's easier to see any cracks that might be forming.

For pistol brass, it pretty much gets 30 min's in the tumbler and then gets reloaded, no matter what condition it started out in.

Top Bottom