• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    A few items I have added to my bob would not do well getting wet. I considered Ziplock bags but they are a bit too fragile to stand up to living inside my bob. What do most use to keep stuff dry?

Matt

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two ways:

Dry bags used for kyaking and canoeing. They work well. I bought some smallish ones to carry the kids' apples around. (the tupperware we use doesnt seal perfectly so juice from the slices would leak)

Dry boxes. You can find them in the camping section now, and are designed in various sizes to put really sensitive electronics in.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    When I was in the military, I used to put my stuff in garbage bags. If I were doing it today and didn't want to use ziplok freezer bags (heavier plastic), I'd probably use hi-mil lawn bags. Your pack is sufficient to keep a garbage bag hole-free while you're carrying it; duct tape usually suffices to repair small holes. A kitchen trash bag was usually sufficient to keep my clothing dry for the two weeks of Annual Training.

If you're trying to keep small electronics dry; you can usually find "dry bags" of various sizes in the kayak section at Dick's Sporting Goods or REI, or even (if you want to overpay) at Eddie Bauer or North Face.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not reusable, but for items that are "one-and-done, I use my vacuum sealer. You can get clothes down to a pretty small package that way as well.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Which items need to stay dry?

Conventional methods are as stated above - ziploks, garbage bags, dry bags

I've always found using my poncho to cover the bag works really well too. The outside may get a bit moist but things inside stay dry. If you have stuff that has to stay completely dry make sure it's surrounded by all your other stuff too. It's rare that a bag and contents gets soaked all the way through.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Trash compactor bags are high mil (thicker) without being 55 gal size. Get white and it is easier to find stuff inside.

Unless you you plan on dunking your BOB in a lake a liner bag will keep most things dry, at least until you put wet clothes inside your dry bag.

If you critical items like electronics they are often fragile too so the dry boxes recommend above serve double duty.

CptCrik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Doubling up on some ziploc bags is a good option for some items. Like a quart bag inside a gallon. Then that way you can put a couple smaller inside of the doubled up bag. Also, can go with some sealed pelican boxes if you want to take care of electronic things. But those can be a bit pricey and add more bulk to your bag. If you want an in between there are zippered plastic water proof PVC pouches you can use. Lots of options on those, do a search on Amazon.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Dry bags, Mylar bags you can deal yourself with heat. I also like to reuse MRE bags and seal them. When your ready to use the stuff just open them. But a good dry bag is a must

Top Bottom