• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    WOW.. Sorry to hear you guys have had such bad luck with them. But then again, it depends on the owner.

One of the reason some of the cheaper handguns have so many issues is because theyre left in a rough condition, hence most people talking about them being better after theyre broken in.

I have a procedure I have done with 3 hipoints and with my p11 as well, where I do a 4 stage grind/polishing on the action. I just basically break them in, using a dremel tool.

You get what you pay for. If you know what your doing, you can get something pretty decent.
    20 rounds at 3 yards
    IMG_20130124_001443_zpsca2cc671.jpg

10 rounds at 10 yards
    IMG_20130629_212708_zpsd3d73e2d.jpg

Its not a bad little shooter for under 250$

Sorry for hijacking, but my point is, If the OP knows what hes looking for, theres nothing wrong with a keltec. Just like if all you have is 120 bucks, and you NEED a gun, theres nothing wrong with a hipoint..

Well, It looks like I got a good one. Sorry to hear peoples stories of bad ones. The only issue I had, was having to pyramid the sights in order for it to not shoot low, I sent them my slide, they sent it back, and it shoots fine now. They put new sights on it, test fired it, sent it back.

I guess some would call that ****ty workmanship, but the last time I checked, the level of quality, usually increases, proportionally, with price..
    Are the pics before and/or after your "4 stage procedure" and sending back to KelTec?
    bottom-before, top-after?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Are the pics before and/or after your "4 stage procedure" and sending back to KelTec?
    bottom-before, top-after?

The first pic IS before I sent it in(but Id pretty much figured out where to hold), the second IS after(with a true sight picture). But its not supposed to be a comparison. Just to show that its decently accurate for the money.

All the "4 stage procedure" does, is basically break the gun in. Just polish the roughness out of the moving surfaces. Thats one of the ways the cheaper gun manufacturers save money, by not spending as much time on them. Hell, Highpoints, are still painted, on the moving surfaces, when you take them out of the box.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Figured I'd throw my PF9 experience in the ring. I purchased one brand-new from Beech Grove (great place) back when they were down the street from their new location a few years ago. I was really excited. A single-stack 9mm that was affordable. I'd been on KTOG reading about them for weeks and when I finally scraped up the cash (I was struggling a bit then) I took the trip down and immediately drove the range after a quick lubrication to begin what would have been the start of a great relationship.

I got to the range and squeezed off a few rounds, it was a little snappy but it was so comfortable to carry I was fine with the trade-off. I loaded a second magazine and squeezed the trigger and heard what could only be described as a chinsey-sounding *crunch* and the trigger went limp. I cleared it, and started disassembling it only to hear parts rattling around inside the frame. The trigger group disintegrated.

I called Kel-Tec who proceeded to tell me that it was my fault, and I was probably shooting "hot" reloads (I wasn't.) I told them it was Winchester white box and the woman said that "well sir, these things only happen when people shoot reloads out of our firearms" and again insisted that I was...mis-remembering the truth. I wasn't happy about that. I asked her if they were going to send a box or a shipping label (as has been done for me in the past by S&W) and she chuckled at me and answered that they don't pay for that at Kel-Tec. I bit the bullet, so-to-speak and shipped it in on a suggestion at a 3-4 week turnaround time.

Three. Months. Later. I got an email that it was fixed and headed back to me. I sold it as soon as it came back for $100 to a friend (whom I'd informed that the gun had issues) and I still feel like I ripped him off.

Sorry, Kel-Tec. Never again.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    And yet, I've had a PF-9 for several years now, have run a few hundred rounds of all brands of ammo through it -- including reloads -- and never had a malfunction. It's no Sig P938, that's for sure, but it has always fired flawlessly for me. Go figure.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Regardless what online reviews may tell you, you'll not find me wanting to stand in front of one. I think the biggest endorsement that has come their way is the fact Zimmerman succesfully defended himself with a PF9, and regardless how you feel about the case or trial it certainly went 'bang' when needed.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And yet, I've had a PF-9 for several years now, have run a few hundred rounds of all brands of ammo through it -- including reloads -- and never had a malfunction. It's no Sig P938, that's for sure, but it has always fired flawlessly for me. Go figure.

Like I said, if this is all the shooting you do, a KelTec may fit your needs (once you confirm it isn't one of the proportionally large number of lemons they put out).

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Regardless what online reviews may tell you, you'll not find me wanting to stand in front of one. I think the biggest endorsement that has come their way is the fact Zimmerman succesfully defended himself with a PF9, and regardless how you feel about the case or trial it certainly went 'bang' when needed.
    And fortunately that one shot did the job, since his beloved KelTec failed to chamber a second round...

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Saw one for 200 bucks on armslist.com in Indiana if you're still interested...I've signed it off my list though...I want to get something i can put a nice amount of rounds through on a regular basis to practice and not worry too much about breakage. Just a bit "too cheap" for me I think. I'd take a PM9 or a sig938 for 200 bucks though :) :) :)

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    And fortunately that one shot did the job, since his beloved KelTec failed to chamber a second round...

I don't know the particulars of the case, but given that he was firing from close quarters into the assailant, isn't there a good chance that a second round didn't chamber because the slide movement was impeded? If so, then ANY semi-automatic would have failed to chamber a second round.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I don't know the particulars of the case, but given that he was firing from close quarters into the assailant, isn't there a good chance that a second round didn't chamber because the slide movement was impeded? If so, then ANY semi-automatic would have failed to chamber a second round.

That was my assumption as well. Even light pressure on the slide could cause a forced malfunction and if he was being straddled as they were both supposedly fumbling for the firearm it seems like that's a reasonable theory. I'm certainly not backing up the PF9 in this case, but I don't want to fault it where it's not necessary.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I bought my keltec before I think the PF9 even existed. I was not happy with its accuracy, I called, they sent me a label, I shipped it, took 3 weeks or so, got it back, basically a new gun, no charge, no real problems. Shoots well enough for what its for. I guess theyre not very consistent of a company.

Top Bottom