• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    I've recently purchased a Kel Tec Sub 2000. Id like to start by saying I love this little .40 cal carbine. With the versitility of using all my Glock magazines and the out of box accuracy there isn't much to complain about with the price tag!! However, I have had a few issues. While shooting various factory loaded bulk ammo I've noticed that the sub 2000 has a few issues with ejecting rounds after shooting 100+ rds. Has anyone else had these issues or have any suggestions?

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    if it is steel cased that is your problem, the sub2k HATES steel cased ammo, only use brass cased.....it even says that in the manual if I remember right

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    My first question is the usual. Did you thoroughly clean and oil your rifle before taking it out to the range? You'd be surprised how quickly issues can be resolved by removing the factory grease and applying oil.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    There are a few inexpensive and easy upgrades I would highly recommend. A Hogue grip sleeve will make the crappy grip on the Sub 2000 so much better. There is a company that makes a foam like sleeve that goes over the buffer tube. It makes the gun alot more comfortable to shoot. And a butt stock extension that you can buy off the Kel Tec website.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Ohh and Don't worry if you pull the trigger while you have is disassembled. I was reading that if you do this you have to send it back to kel tec to get it fixed. This is not true. You are able to reset the trigger your self pretty easily.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I don't recall ever having a FTF issue, out of several hundred rounds. Run it wet, and run it hard, it'll smooth out. (when running it wet, don't wear good clothes)

How do you like that looooong mushshshy trigger? It doesn't have to be that way. There's a disassembly tutorial online, and then just apply the same principles you would in order to improve a 1911 trigger. To finish off your improvements, there's a guy at KTOG that sells aluminum triggers.

PS- There's also an aluminum trigger kit available for the PF-9. As soon as I get everything else done, and have $55 to put into a $250 gun...wow, I never thought of it that way before. The factory trigger ain't that bad.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Ohh and Don't worry if you pull the trigger while you have is disassembled. I was reading that if you do this you have to send it back to kel tec to get it fixed. This is not true. You are able to reset the trigger your self pretty easily.

Very true as I found out.....was able to reset and reassemble. Mine was purchased used and is in 9mm glock clothing. First time out, it was failing to eject big time. Took it home, dissassembled and cleaned real good. Next time 100 percent function. Have fun.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My first question is the usual. Did you thoroughly clean and oil your rifle before taking it out to the range? You'd be surprised how quickly issues can be resolved by removing the factory grease and applying oil.

^^^

This is extremely important. These rifles are just full of nasty manufacturing grease and grime. Thoroughly disassemble and properly lube these prior to shooting if you are going to keep one of these rifles.

TK

sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I gave the gun a deep cleaning after purchase and clean after each trip to the range. However, after 100+ rounds at the range I've still had issues with ejection. I only shoot factory loaded brass and have never had a problem in the first 100 or so rounds. I may not be giving the gun enough oil??? I tend to not over oil any of guns. I'll try a little more oil and give an update!!

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have the sub2K in Glock 40 version. I love this rugged little gun. It sounds like you are doing everything right. There may be a problem and the first place I would look is in the two piece bolt. Mine had some minor galling where it was catching inside the tube. I never had a problem but I polished it with 800 grit sandpaper and made sure there were no burs inside the tube. You could have something like that going on.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't replace the trigger. I hated the polymer one and got an aluminum one. Several months later, I managed to get the thing reassembled. you take it that far apart, and you need more than two hands to put it back together. I'd be interested to see how they do it at the factory.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Don't replace the trigger. I hated the polymer one and got an aluminum one. Several months later, I managed to get the thing reassembled. you take it that far apart, and you need more than two hands to put it back together. I'd be interested to see how they do it at the factory.

Yeah, there's a learning curve. First time, took me about an hour to get it back together. Second time took 15 minutes, to disassemble, stone some, and re-assemble.

Haven't had it apart in a couple of years, and definitely wouldn't do it for recreation.

sdbran01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Just a short update on my previous ejection problems. I've had two trips to the range since my first post. First trip shot roughly 150 before any issues. Second trip, (after cleaning from first of course) shot nearly 200 before a failure to eject. Solution-Always keep clean!

Ken H

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Used a piece of closed cell pipe insulation to cover the tube stock, trimmed out for the bolt travel and fastened it down with double faced tape, works great!!, still folds and no sore cheek, kinda eaven feels good, even looks decent.

Top Bottom