Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Bah.

Sounded like something but after reading it was more like

Bah.

Its like somebody asking me if I know what NOP-001-004-12 rev 12 is. Thats not a basic question and neither were Sen Kennedys

A basic question would be "What's the amendments process according to the Constitution?"

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Bah.

Bah.

Its like somebody asking me if I know what NOP-001-004-12 rev 12 is.
    It was clearly a ploy to show how incompetent the nominee was. If you asked me to answer those questions I'd stumble all over the place. But I'm not a judge. I wouldn't expect the nominee to recite the language in the Constitution but it seems to me someone who I'd think would have been a requirement for learning the law would be able to at least be able to give a synopsis of those articles.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bah.

Bah.

Its like somebody asking me if I know what NOP-001-004-12 rev 12 is. Thats not a basic question and neither were Sen Kennedys

A basic question would be "What's the amendments process according to the Constitution?"
    Except at least one question was DIRECTLY relating to judicial decisions. I could give her a pass on the articles. But something that directly relates to how a judge makes rulings? Yeah. Not qualified.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Sadly, we live in country where a female Supreme Court justice cannot define what a woman is. From the above link:

"Tell me what Article V of the Constitution does," Kennedy instructed Bjelkengren at the beginning of his question time.
    "Article V is not coming to mind at the moment," the judge said.

That's a pretty basic question for a judge, I would think. From link:

Next, Kennedy asked if Bjelkengren knew what "purposivism" is, but she was again unable to give an answer. Purposivism, or the purposive approach, is a philosophy of interpreting the law that emphasizes the law's purpose — advocating for judges to enforce the spirit of the law when it contradicts with the text of the law, according to Harvard Law professor John F. Manning, writing in the Columbia Law Review. In contrast, textualists argue that judges must strictly adhere to the law's enacted text, when it is clear.

I admit not having ever heard of purposivism. But I haven't attended law school and passed the bar and already sat on the bench as a judge. Her not knowing anything about this seems to suggest she lacks judicial education. Great, just great. Let's promote her.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Bah.

Bah.

If you want to be a Supreme Court Justice you should know the constitution. It isn't that lengthy.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    No I'm saying if this judge or any judge wants to be on the Supreme Court they need to know the constitution. On any federal court they should as well.
    SCOTUS is full at the moment.
    I would agree. I expect more from a SCOTUS than lower courts.

I have differing expectations for each level. It's just that article, to me, was click bait compared to the content.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Judges should be well educated and well rounded in the law. I have no issues with conformation hearings that show their lack of knowledge. If you don’t know the law, you can’t adjudicate it

Top Bottom