• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I might need to put thin in gunsmithing but thought I would start here. If I am wrong I am sorry!!!
    I inherited a Kimber micro 9. Seems to run well but it shoots 4 inches low at 7 yards. I am shooting 115 gn ball ammo and I don’t want to have to change ammo. It has night sights and I would like to keep them but I can deal with that kind of problem. It groups great just 4 inches low. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks
    100 X

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Could always call Kimber and see if they will do anything? I know you don't want to change ammo but I rember the Solo being recommended for 124gr and up 9mm the Micro 9 might be different. But a box of 9 is like $20 to see if a different grain weight would hit POA/POI

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I might need to put thin in gunsmithing but thought I would start here. If I am wrong I am sorry!!!
    I inherited a Kimber micro 9. Seems to run well but it shoots 4 inches low at 7 yards. I am shooting 115 gn ball ammo and I don’t want to have to change ammo. It has night sights and I would like to keep them but I can deal with that kind of problem. It groups great just 4 inches low. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks
    100 X
    By Virtue of it being a Micro 9 do you intend to carry it? Or Range use only? I am in the heavier grain camp especially for 9 mm. If barrier blindness comes into play you may wish to reconsider you ammo choice.

When you say it groups 4 inches low at sometimes self defense distance, are you drawing from concealment and firing? Or taking static shots? Any possibility front sight height is off? Also are the results consistent with someone else shooting it?

Good luck

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm going to say it's in the design, not your particular example. The OG just bought one for herself. The target on the left are the first shots she put through the gun at 5 yds. The target on the right is the same distance with the Crimson Trace laser grip factory option. Winchester 115gr fmj.
    20220602_220838.jpg

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Did you let someone else shoot it? Not to sound rude but handgun accuracy problems are often traced to the shooter and shooter grip.

Mine included. I was causing all manner of malfunctions/poi changes when I suddenly started riding the slide stop with my thumb

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Some gun sights are setup/regulated for different holds.

Do we know how the OEM sights for the Kimber are setup and how the shooter was sighting?

Combat-Sight-Picture-1.png

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks
    100 X
    Your pistol may not like what you think it should like. I suggest you try several different weights, types of bullets and brands to see if it likes something better. It can get costly yes. However, when you find the right one buy it in bulk and you'll be very happy.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Regulation/sight picture is my first thought. Definitely worth trying different ammo but shouldn't be too much variation at that distance.

Along with having someone else shoot it, how do you shoot other similar guns?

If a gun has non-factory sights, obviously there's always the chance that improper sights were installed.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Regulation/sight picture is my first thought. Definitely worth trying different ammo but shouldn't be too much variation at that distance.

Along with having someone else shoot it, how do you shoot other similar guns?

If a gun has non-factory sights, obviously there's always the chance that improper sights were installed.
    My Ruger LCRx 38 Special will shoot about 4" low with some ammunition at 7yds. Some it will shoot a few inches high and others to point of aim. I think it depends on the distance they set it for zero and the ammunition they used also. You'd be surprised in the difference between a 7yd zero, 15yd zero, and a 25yd zero.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    My Ruger LCRx 38 Special will shoot about 4" low with some ammunition at 7yds. Some it will shoot a few inches high and others to point of aim. I think it depends on the distance they set it for zero and the ammunition they used also. You'd be surprised in the difference between a 7yd zero, 15yd zero, and a 25yd zero.
    More than geometry at play then, sight over bore is under 1/2" (fuzzy interior ballistics stuff). I know what you mean though, that's why I don't rule it out.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield

That's always something I really remind people of with J&Frame and similar sized revolvers. Finding an ammo type the guns "likes" is very important as most revolvers cannot have their sights adjusted generally.

Top Bottom