• ...and so much more!
  • ryan3326

Marksman
    Rating - 97.6%
    40   1   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Indiana
    98249FDB-14C3-421E-873A-EC9175A86667_zpsuj5gmsjw.jpg

I originally planned on titling this thread "Beauty and the Beast" but decided against it.

So recently, in a trade transaction where the other party was a bit short on funds , I accepted his cash plus a Hi-Point .45 to boot. I have heard of and seen Hi-Points online but never handled or owned one... until now.

Being a "gun guy" I have owned, shot and fondled hundreds of handguns. Large frame, small frame, micro frame - just about everything. I will be honest and tell you that I was astonished when I picked this gun up for the first time. It was massive, heavy, cumbersome, bulky, long... and it is just a .45ACP. When I got home I pulled it out and layed it next to my Glocks, Sigs, Kimbers and it still dwarfed anything I had. Being a CCW holder I have been on a mission for years to find the perfect marriage between size and firepower. I alternate between daily carrying a Kimber Solo, Kahr PM9 and Glock 26. Granted these are all 9mm guns and my new Hi-Point is a .45 - but the specs on the Hi-Point 9mm are the same as my new acquisition. By the way, you might be thinking that 8" long grip holds mass rounds - nope, it holds 8.

I joked with a friend that you would think that after manufacturing Hi-Points for over 20 years the company would eventually (either from boredom or embarrassment) try to design/build something smaller, lighter, thinner... nope - they just keep pumping out handguns that double as boat anchor in an emergency. To Hi-Points credit, I read on their website that they are warranteed for LIFE! That is pretty impressive... And let's not forget that these are under $200 brand new. Hi Points are also in the top 5 in terms of handguns sold in the US. (i will link the article I found yesterday when I find it again).

Don't get me wrong - I can definately see the niche that Hi-Point is going after... Like I said, a $200 handgun is pretty rare. But my money would still have to go towards looking for a used gen 1 Glock, Beretta 92, Taurus... you will have maybe a bit more money in it but will have literally HALF the gun (not referring to half the quality or firepower - but half the weight and size).
    Anyway, below are a few more side-by-side pics for anyone on the fence between carrying a Kimber Solo or Hi-Point as their daily carry :) I will wrap this up by saying "you go!" to Hi-Point and I guess I do appreciate your resolute pursuit to overbuild a handgun in every way possible (except for your installing a thin, plastic trigger that wobbles and shakes when you handle the gun - I guess they didn't want to tip into the "over 10 pound handgun" catagory and chose to save a little weight here.

Enjoy:

2D62F115-7028-4FA8-AAEB-98F4CFFD1B98_zpsjcdyhgem.jpg

E4D53579-AAEE-4D2D-A365-A82BD5B9189F_zps3j0gokph.jpg

728AF511-4702-4E38-9897-F1671DA5F12E_zpspiefjq6n.jpg

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    The size and hideousness would not bother me if it were also built like a tank and nigh indestructible. But since it has all that cheapo, flexy plastic, and those terribad magazines (pretty much describes their entire catalog) I have avoided the gun (and all other high point products). However, I know plenty of people who have owned and regularly shot said weapons. A lot of people I have known who just got their LTCH have then landed themselves a high point 45/9/etc as a first gun until they figure out what it is they actually want or need in a gun. I also note their carbines have a large and loyal following. I shot one several years ago a relative had and did not see the appeal. I assume its purely based on economics.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Ill bet Andre the Giant would love one!!!!!!! But, seriously, if it's all you can afford, having a lifetime warranty is pretty sweet!! I've known a few owners and they've been pretty happy....until it comes time to conceal it, hehe

sharpshot82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    How much are you looking to sell it for? I agree they are bulky and heavy. I have two 9mm, two .380 and a 9mm carbine rifle. I would not consider carrying them, but they are very accurate and a lot of fun at the range. My fiancee loves shooting the .380 because of the little recoil it has. I like the fact that my 9mm handguns and carbine have interchangeable mags. I am a Glock guy when it comes to ccw.

Top Bottom