• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hey all. Me and a buddy are planning on going shooting later today. We wanted to go to an outdoor range and have decided on either Kingsbury or Jasper-Pulaski as they are about the same distance from where we live. We'll be shooting an array of handguns, .22's, and an AR-15. Never been to either range before, or an outdoor range period. What do you all think and why? Also, we have paper targets but were wondering if we need to bring boards/cardboard to mount the targets or does either range provide anything? Any other information you think would be beneficial to the venture would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :ar15:

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I shoot at both ranges..........Kingsury has shelter and flush bathrooms.... and costs $4 with every 10 minutes a break.

Jasper -Pulaski has some of the nicest range officers and is wide open....lots of different distances and is free.:dunno:

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    By shelter do you mean shooting from under a roof? Escaping from the sun is quite nice. Nothing makes me feel more fat than when I go shooting on a sunny day and sweat profusely while barely even moving. :rolleyes: Haha.

Also, what's the longest distance both ranges have?

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    If you choose JP you might want to check and make sure the range is open. I am not sure if they are closed Mondays or Monday and Tuesdays. DNR website says it is closed Mon and Tues.

Last edited:

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Both are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Kingsbury is louder due to the concrete shelter. I wish they would put up some accoustic foam to reduce the echo.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    By shelter do you mean shooting from under a roof? Escaping from the sun is quite nice. Nothing makes me feel more fat than when I go shooting on a sunny day and sweat profusely while barely even moving. :rolleyes: Haha.

Also, what's the longest distance both ranges have?

Exactly...no shooting under a roof..........no roof at all unless you count the can....I think the maximum at both is 100yds.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Kingsbury was open today and I had a blast! Outstanding facitlity and extremely friendly RO. Definitely a +1.

Haven't even been to JP yet but I don't even feel the need to now after visiting Kings. Haha

cumminspwrd02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Goob, I like shooting at Kingsbury. I don't care if it's $4, I get to shoot with cover over head and everytime I've gone there the people shooting are always good and act safe.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Kingsbury

I have been to both Kingsbury and Jasper. Both have pluses and minuses. I like em both. Kingsbury is a very well run facility and you get the running water inside toilet, etc. It also is well controlled, and the Range Officers are very good, helpful, and pleasant to deal with. Especially John, he is truly a gentleman and a wealth of knowledge. The shelter and deign is nice on windy cold days, helps cut down on being exposed to the elements.

Jasper, is truly open. Not as noisy, for sure, and you are more on your own. Kingsbury restricts some shotgun loads, I’m not sure Jasper does.
    I goes it depends on the day and what you want to accomplish. I like Jasper because you can back your car up almost to your shooting stations. Great for getting a touch warm, or changing firearms.

Support them both!

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    For pistol shooting you want to make the trip to Kingsbury. While you can bring your pistols to Jasper the minimum distance is 25 yards.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    These guys were going shooting back in July.Don't think this thread needs to be resurrected.

True ... but someone might have the same question in the future and want to see what's been said. This way, they can check in here without getting flamed for asking a question "that's been asked before." :D Others might want to add something to the conversation as well.

Example: I was at Kingsbury yesterday and noticed that they have removed the restriction on shooting seated (ground) or kneeling from the 50 yard and 100 yard ranges. Nothing on the prone position but it is no longer listed (it was listed as one of the no-no positions a few months ago).

Top Bottom