• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have not admitted to myself that I'm a knife guy yet AND I had to Google "Kit Carson" (and variants) to get a handle on who he was.... I have to say, when I select "image search", these are the kind of knives I am drawn to. Kudos to Cubby for honoring his memory and increasing the impact his life had on yet another (me) person. His knives are bringing me that much closer to being a dyed in the wool "knife guy". I've spent a good (ahem...) more time than I care to admit, admiring his designs.
    SDH

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is very sad. Kit Carson was one of the makers whose work first appealed to me. I have the Outdoor Edge Magna he designed and the original version of the CRKT that was based on his design. I'm very sorry to see him go!

Ramiel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    East side of Indy
    I've not had the pleasure of owning a piece of his work or meeting the man, but I'm saddened by the loss of this great maker.
    I am currently working with Marty Young on a custom knife, and it's enough knowing that Marty learned from Kit and that his influence lives on.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I had no idea my EDC was an example of this man's exceptional work. May he rest in peace.

CRKTM16_zps4d34869e.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He did several designs for CRKT that continue to be huge sellers. My favorite was the M-21 and the M4.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Kit impacted so many people in the knife world. Even those who didn't know it. He is widely credited with the current success of flippers on folding knives. No he did not invent it. But when a knife you see today has a flipper, you had better believe Kit was a driving force behind the success of the flipper. Kit and CRKT put it in the fore front.

Kit did more in his poor health than many do in their prime. Rip sir.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Until rhino filled me in Wednesday, I did not know his influence on the knife culture. Impressive.

Every man wants to leave a legacy, few do. Mr. Carson left his mark and a great mark it is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I knew he lived in Kentucky. I'm sorry I didn't make an effort to meet him and see some of his custom work in person.

Top Bottom