• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Do you need new counter tops or do you "need" new counter tops?

This.

And do I need to drive to Jamestown & kick your heiny, Mister?

Make do with what you have for now. Same with your Jeep.

Throw that money at your debt that you were complaining about.

Seriously.

You owe that to your wife & future kids. Get yourselves on the right track!

But if you have a broken counter & need it replaced... Then get a laminate top. Do it "right" when you have the money to throw at it.

-J-

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Personally, I wouldn't go with the tile, as everyone has said, the grout will look like crap after awhile. When we bought our house, we "remodeled" the kitchen to get rid of the '70's look. We painted and glazed the cabinets, and replaced the harvest gold counter tops. We chose laminate. When we completely demo and replace the kitchen we will probably go quartz. My wife designs and sells kitchens, so I think she knows what she is talking about. With any natural stone, there is quite a bit of maintenance involved (sealing, waxing, etc.).

With all counter tops, including granite, contrary to popular belief, you cannot simply put hot pots and pans on them. You will always risk burning/scolding the surface, which will show up over time. ALWAYS use a trivet.

Anyway, we went with one of the "granite" looking laminates. Yea, you can tell it's not granite, but we liked the look and the price. Here are a few pics of the laminate we chose.

countertop2.jpg

countertop.jpg

countertop1.jpg

Sorry the pics are a little blurred. You can't really tell from the picture, but the surface is actually a little rough, like granite. It looks a lot better than the pictures. There are thousands of different types and looks of laminate these days. Depending on where you are, I can give you my wife's info, and see if she can help you out.

Good luck.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    on the extreme side there is always concrete. I have a small island that has tile on it, it is a pain in the but!. I would definitely go solid surface. Depending on how much you need lowe's & menard's always have counter tops that have been returned.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    This.

Seriously.

But if you have a broken counter & need it replaced... Then get a laminate top. Do it "right" when you have the money to throw at it.

-J-

I know this may sound harsh but believe us when we say it is purely out of love.

Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan - daveramsey.com

It will change your life. I wouldn't mind going back and taking it again as a refresher. If you lived closer, I'd offer to take it together. :rockwoot:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I know, I know. I gave up on the Line X idea when I found out the price.

For the counter, I wouldn't put any money into it. My dad has leftover tile and grout from his bathroom and kitchen project. So I would be able to fix my countertop for free :D

Believe it or not, I AM listening to you :P

This.

Seriously.

-J-

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    But, but just think of cool a Line X kitchen counter top would be.:D Seriously, if you do go with tile, make sure that your cabinets tops are stiff. Any flex will make your new tile pop loose and crack.

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    In THAT case, I'd go with the tile countertop in a heatbeat! If you need a repair, and can do it with materials on hand, go for it! :)

For the counter, I wouldn't put any money into it. My dad has leftover tile and grout from his bathroom and kitchen project. So I would be able to fix my countertop for free :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know, I know. I gave up on the Line X idea when I found out the price.

Believe it or not, I AM listening to you :P

woo hoo! :D :yesway:

But, but just think of cool a Line X kitchen counter top would be.:D Seriously, if you do go with tile, make sure that your cabinets tops are stiff. Any flex will make your new tile pop loose and crack.

This & more this.

Also, make sure your starting surface is level. Check it 4-5 times. Check the level while you're laying the tile. Check it often.

(this has to do with one of MY pet peeves...un-even joints & such that make pots/pans/glasses/cups/etc not sit level)

-J-

Top Bottom