Knife bigots look the other way - others; Rough Rider?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ok first off, I own very expensive knives that would make your heads explode, mostly because I am so old and they were all very affordable back in the day. Because of a family member's circumstances I have divested myself of anything valuable and sent it all out of town for the time being.

With that being said, a man needs a knife in his pocket. I have been carrying a Sears Craftsman folding razor knife. It.s a nice knife, for a razor knife but it isn't the same as having a real knife.

I bought a Rough Rider Sunfish, $12 delivered to my door. The knife "LOOKS" great! It's every bit as nice as a Case, except for the ugly stain on the blade. It resembles the word "China"...... It just won't buff out!

The brand gets great reviews, for a cheap knife. Being so cheap, I immediately started to modify it to suit me better. I rounded the bone scales a bit and re-sealed with super-glue. I cut one scale down to accept a Nite-ize hip clip and installed same. I clipped the ridiculous spoon of a blade to a more standard clip point. If the blade had been symmetrical I may have left it, but it wasn't.

Now I am trying to give it a decent hone. I have been previously pretty handy at sharpening. A razor edge has been easy since I was a child. Depending on the steel even sharper than razor was not too difficult. My problem is this, due to a nerve problem in my neck I have lost the feeling in my hands. I don't KNOW that this is a factor or not, but I just can't get this blade to what I would call sharp. I can get it so you can strip shaves off of paper but as far as actually shaving my arm I have failed.

I understand that this is a cheese-ball knife but I see self proclaimed knife experts saying that they love these knives all over the 'net. How about anybody here? Has anybody who actually owns a Rough Rider been able to actually get one sharp? Or even "scarey sharp"? Are my honing days behind me or is it the steel? Honestly the only steel I have ever failed to sharpen before came from Pakistan.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry, don't have one. Have you tried a different stone or steel? Maybe a narrower angle, like 19 or even 15 degrees? Just trying to think of options for you.

I've never had a knife I couldn't get to 'shaving sharp'. Depending on the knife, might not hold that edge 'long', depending on how it's used, but I'm unaware of any that can't be sharpened to a keen edge.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I would be interested in knowing the sharpening method that you are using. Are you free handing it on stones, or are you using a system like a Spyderco Sharpemaker? This info would go a long way in helping to determine what might be the possible problem. It could be as simple as not maintaining the correct angle or keeping the edge even (consistent angle) for the entire cutting area. As a note, most steel coming out of China will be on the softer side (Rockwell hardness rating) and should be relatively easy to sharpen.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I am intrigued by your need to temporarily divest yourself of valuables because of a family member..

There are 3 other adults with access to my house. I have lost EVERYTHING that I own with a value over that of 2 packs of cigarettes. I suspect drugs are involved. My knives and guns are out of town specifically because I am suspecting drugs. Since shipping out all weapons besides the ones in my pockets I have lost all my tools, family heirlooms, camping equipment, even my fishing pole. ANYTHING of value. I can't prove anything except that these things are no longer in the house. The rope-A-dope is the explanation of the day, where each one blames the other two...... It's a very effective strategy.

Meanwhile I am attempting to maintain my normal habits. I am packing a CHEAP pistol. I am carrying a CHEAP knife.... The good stuff (what is left) is out of sight.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I would be interested in knowing the sharpening method that you are using. Are you free handing it on stones, or are you using a system like a Spyderco Sharpemaker? This info would go a long way in helping to determine what might be the possible problem. It could be as simple as not maintaining the correct angle or keeping the edge even (consistent angle) for the entire cutting area. As a note, most steel coming out of China will be on the softer side (Rockwell hardness rating) and should be relatively easy to sharpen.

I am free-handing on the same finish stone I have had and used since I was a teenager. I DID have a rig with crock-sticks that I used to get that scarey-sharp edge with, but unfortunately that was a tool that I owned that had some value..... That is to say I don't own it anymore. I have been one-of-those-guys for 45 years, since I was about 10. But now my nerves are shot. I have the same muscle-memory..... My angles LOOK good and consistent, I just can't feel that "sizzle" from the blade as it is cutting on the stone. I was just wondering if there was something with the steel before I list this with the dozens of other things that I can't do anymore.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    it's the steel. I bought a knock off strider once on ebay as a joke. it was made in china. I tried like a mf'er to get it sharp and it was like trying to sharpen a piece of gum wrapper. I even sent it to a talented knife maker friend of mine from camden Tennessee, who is know for putting some of the scariest edges on knives. even he couldn't get a great edge on it.

My guess is the knife and heat treat. I agree with the above poster also. kick them the freak out or you move. some folks just can't be saved.

On another note get with brad from brads knives and by a kershaw cryo. they are like 30 bucks and a damn good frame lock folder that will serve you well with out breaking the bank.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    There are 3 other adults with access to my house. I have lost EVERYTHING that I own with a value over that of 2 packs of cigarettes. I suspect drugs are involved. My knives and guns are out of town specifically because I am suspecting drugs. Since shipping out all weapons besides the ones in my pockets I have lost all my tools, family heirlooms, camping equipment, even my fishing pole. ANYTHING of value. I can't prove anything except that these things are no longer in the house. The rope-A-dope is the explanation of the day, where each one blames the other two...... It's a very effective strategy.

Meanwhile I am attempting to maintain my normal habits. I am packing a CHEAP pistol. I am carrying a CHEAP knife.... The good stuff (what is left) is out of sight.
    Sorry to hear this.Hard to call them 'adults' if they're acting that way.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    it's the steel. I bought a knock off strider once on ebay as a joke. it was made in china. I tried like a mf'er to get it sharp and it was like trying to sharpen a piece of gum wrapper. I even sent it to a talented knife maker friend of mine from camden Tennessee, who is know for putting some of the scariest edges on knives. even he couldn't get a great edge on it.

My guess is the knife and heat treat.

Based on the given information, I concur with your assessment, sir.

Some knives simply won't get as sharp as others (for a variety of reasons). If it's a relative thin blade (like on a slipjoint folder) and it won't get sharp, the steel/heat treatment combination are probably to blame.

Soft doesn't always equate to easy to sharpen. It may equate with easy to abrade and remove metal, but if it's not sufficiently hardened, any edge you would get with a better steel/heat treatment is never going to form. This used to be common with a lot cheap knives made from 420J2 with effectively no heat treatment. That's fine for ornaments, structural pieces, and spoons, but not for a cutting edge.

I've had similar issues with decent steels. I own a Koncept Snipe made with ATS-34. It's a cool little design (especially for its vintage), but the blade is just too soft to take an edge, much less hold one. The steel feel like it's "smearing" instead of grinding away like I normally feel when I'm sharpening. The same thing happened with a Camillus EDC made with AUS 8A.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks guys. This knife is sharp enough, I suppose. It's just not as sharp as my pride and my reputation is used to. I have carried a Gerber folding sportsman since 1975. It's steel is inferior by specks (was the best back then) but it gets that wicked sharp that I am used to. I would sure hate to loose it though.

It's too bad that this china knife didn't use better blade material. It's really very nice. They did all the labor, and did it very well. You would think it was a Case knife. Don't get me wrong, it's well worth twice what I paid for it and very functional. I just can't get that last bit out of it that I am used to. Now that I have cut and butched and modded it all up to be perfect, I have become pretty fond of it. I wouldn't have had the nerve to start hacking on a Case knife like that.

Edit; Last update....... Fooling with my knife, I missed a stroke on the strop. Now I have cut my leather strop 3/4 in half, It's ruined. The strop was worth more than the knife is. Now I am disgusted and will put it down for a while. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

sipherblitz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Greenwood
    I've been using the spyder co sharpening kit for several months and have yet to find a blade that it won't pyut an edge on.. however.... I guess your blade could be pot metal....haha.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I've been using the spyder co sharpening kit for several months and have yet to find a blade that it won't pyut an edge on.. however.... I guess your blade could be pot metal....haha.

Rough Rider uses 440A steel in their blades. Not the best steel, as it is extremely soft (compared to other steels on the Rockwell scale) and edge retention is questionable, and apparently getting an edge is difficult based on the OP. It's a $10 to $15 knife which is what you get at that price point, but it is far from being "pot metal" (die casted zinc).

Top Bottom