• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO

I have carried locker knives, but I have never really gotten info knives. I've started looking around and am starting to get the itch to learn more about knives.

Can you help me understand what common steels I would come across in budget knives? For example, I've been seeing several appealing Kershaws for EDC. However, I'm not clear on what steels are good quality for budget knives (<$40).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Really for less than $40 you are stuck with 8Cr13MOV which is a lower end Chinese value steel, it is generally lower on the Rockwell scale meaning is goes dull fast but is relatively easy to sharpen. I strongly suggest going out of that price point but still in the sub $100 price range because with the sub $40 range you are stuck in Chinese knife galore land. For a street price of $80 or so you can get into a Kershaw Camber which is an USA made knife featuring premium S30V steel that will hold an edge considerable longer than 8Cr13MOV. In the $65 street price range is the Spyderco Delica an Japanese folder using VG10 which while not as nice as S30V is still a big improvement over 8Cr13MOV. Another thing to consider as well is the fit and finish on the knives mentioned is significantly better that that of the knives in the sub $40 range.

But if you are still set on a $40 knife the Kershaw Link is a very good option being made in the USA unlike most knives at that price it uses 420HC blade steel which is comparable to the performance of 8Cr13MOV.

Camber |  Kershaw Knives
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=209
    Link |  Kershaw Knives

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You can get the classic Buck 110 for less than $40 when they go on sale. It's 420HC, but has a really good heat treatment and the blade geometry is about as good as it gets for slicing. It's not tacticool, but it's an excellent cutting tool.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I like s30V, cm154, CPM3v, and good old 440C if I am on a budget. Any knifemaker can buy a good steel, few can heat treat to maximize their qualities. My EDC is D2, my best hunting knife is CPM3v.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Really for less than $40 you are stuck with 8Cr13MOV which is a lower end Chinese value steel, it is generally lower on the Rockwell scale meaning is goes dull fast but is relatively easy to sharpen. I strongly suggest going out of that price point but still in the sub $100 price range because with the sub $40 range you are stuck in Chinese knife galore land. For a street price of $80 or so you can get into a Kershaw Camber which is an USA made knife featuring premium S30V steel that will hold an edge considerable longer than 8Cr13MOV. In the $65 street price range is the Spyderco Delica an Japanese folder using VG10 which while not as nice as S30V is still a big improvement over 8Cr13MOV. Another thing to consider as well is the fit and finish on the knives mentioned is significantly better that that of the knives in the sub $40 range.

But if you are still set on a $40 knife the Kershaw Link is a very good option being made in the USA unlike most knives at that price it uses 420HC blade steel which is comparable to the performance of 8Cr13MOV.

Camber |* Kershaw Knives
    Spyderco Delica 4 FRN
    Link |* Kershaw Knives
    Love my Delica. I have a few others in 8Cr13mov and I wouldn't say they are bad. The spyderco Tenacious (under $40) was my first edc buy and I still carry it often. For everyday tasks, I might have it touched up (most likely by you Dean) once every few months.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it.

I had a Bass Pro gift card and I picked up two beginner knives to play around with. No money out of my pocket, so it was a success.

- Kershaw RJ II
    - Schrade SCH501S

I can see how this gets addicting....

Top Bottom