• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Well I'm hanging my head in defeat. Just checked a few forshner blades that I worked on last week and there isn't one in the lot that will cut hair off my arm. Wife asked qwhat I was doing, told her I sucked at sharpening knives, she said don't walk toward the light. In hindsight, it looked like I was cutting my wrist.

I feel for you. I was in the exact same place as you last month. I have an Arkansas stone triangle thing I bought at Gander Mountain. It is supposed to sit on a table, but the edge got better if I held the knife stable in one hand and moved the stone vertically with the other. Things got a little better. Then I bought a hand held diamond field sharpener froom REI. That got it close to shaving sharp. The thing that put it over the edge :) was finally getting a paddle strop. I bought 3 different compounds. After a bought 20 min of stropping, success! This is on a scandi edge in O1 tool steel.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have learned over the years what you use to hone with matters FAR less than your ability to maintain and control the angle. You should be able to get a shaving sharp knife with whatever you have on the bench. Arkansas, diamond, ceramic or even sandpaper. If you cannot then buying more stones isn't going to make any difference.

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I have learned over the years what you use to hone with matters FAR less than your ability to maintain and control the angle. You should be able to get a shaving sharp knife with whatever you have on the bench. Arkansas, diamond, ceramic or even sandpaper. If you cannot then buying more stones isn't going to make any difference.

Totally agree. I need to see not feel the angle and the only way I could see it was to hold the knife so the edge was facing the sky and I could angle the stone/sharpener correctly with both the edge and sharpener angle in view.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Agreed!

I'll add, though, that some abrasives lend themselves to better results. In my experience, diamond abrasives are the best tool for stainless steels. High carbon and tool steels are more forgiving and you can get excellent results with just about anything as long as you have the patience.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Top Bottom