• ...and so much more!
  • Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    There is a lot of good information over at knife steel nerds. If anyone was ever wondering how different blade steels compared to each other in various categories they break them down pretty well in this article. It's a really long read and looks like it's a year old or so. But it's good information that helps understand some of the qualities between the different steels.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Now that guy but a huge amount of effort into that chart , lots of very good info there. Interesting how he even broke down how the material was made either via PM or Ingot forging

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I thought of you Dean when I read it
    This was definitely added to my reading material list, currently working my way through coefficients of wear and friction of tool steel on tool steel and tool steel on aluminum wear surfaces and how they are effected by material coatings :abused:

I have seen similar lists in the past but nothing nearly this complete. Honestly I am amazed this guy did all these tests. He even had variables covered for edge geometry and inclusive edge angles, I was seriously impressed. I need a Maxamelt blade in my life , I should have never gotten rid of my Manix 2 in that.

teIOyZ8.jpg

Knife steel nerdery continued , Spyderco is probably my favorite manufacturer for use of high end exotic steels / alloys. Their ZDP-189 knives were epic especially for only being $100~ at the time.

spalfano

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    New Palestine
    That guy is the knife steel mad scientist. He has introduced a new knife steel called magnacut that looks to be the new flagship steel in the knife world.
    I bought a Bradford guardian 3.5 in magnacut and it’s absolutely amazing steel. I’ve done nothing but touch it up on a strop from time to time. I beat on it pretty good and no damage or dulling. It’s got good corrosion resistance and the hardness and edge retention of m390. Love it!!!

Top Bottom