Knifemakers: knifemaking tip of the day!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Sheaths do not scratch knives. Small items IN the sheath scratches the knife. Wash throughly before setting rivers. Hot, soapy water, let it sit for a day, upside down, blow it out, wipe with clean dry rag, then rivet!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    when grinding/sanding your bevels, coat the blade with black sharpie marker. as you remove material, it will be easier to see your low spots. keep going until all sharpie is gone. repeat.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    I was just looking at LaGrange's WIP thread and his pictures of the band saw reminded me of another one. Always use a push stick and keep it will keep your fingers out of the blade.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    Yo Fergy...Eric has a push stick...it just looks a lot like scrap. *smiles*

My tip... When grinding steel...the coarser the grit the higher the speed on the grinder and the greater the pressure applied to the work piece.
    Conversely, the lower the grit the slower the speed and less pressure applied to the work piece.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to say you were not using one. Acutally, I saw that you were using one and it reminded me of getting my finger into the blade of a saw back when I was a kid in wood shop. Then I thought it might be worth pointing out here. Carry on, you were doing fine.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I was just messin' with ya Dan. It's all good.

Tip O' the day... Minimize distractions when operating machinery. You're full attention should be focused on the machine you are using...some machines will harm or maim you in a fraction of a second.
    When I lost my right leg in a work accident it took less than 5 seconds. That was 30+ years ago and I still dont have it. (I've looked everywhere)

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Okay, I'll throw another one out there. Don't be afraid to ask questions of experienced knife makers. Just about all of them will be willing to talk with you or even show you some things. Most knife makers are good guys or girls and are a pleasure to talk with. There are of course, some exceptions.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    For flat parts: get a surface plate and use it ONLY to check for flatness. To achieve getting something flat, use a stationary piece of glass with sandpaper.

Top Bottom