• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Does anyone know if the army still allows you carry your own knives? My nephews unit is getting deployed in about four weeks and want him to have a good blade. And can't decide if I should get him stainless on high carbon. He likes my Ka-bar but there are better. Like I carried a Randall #1-14 if I remember right.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I do not have the time respond properly.
    I will later when I can quote the proper Regs...

Short Answer though is it is up to his Chain of Command...

If he has a Fobbit Job and will never break the wire, he will receive a LOT of ridicule from those that actually leave the wire though...

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    With him only in infantry I don't know, but when i got in the 82nd then I asked and we could and in the 75th we could as well. thanks

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I got back From Iraq last January (Army) and we could carry anything we wanted. In fact, I lost a really good CRKT folder in Kuwait when i dropped my brown knife into the brown sand. Doh!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i got out in 2007, was a infantry boy and nobody ever said anything to us as far as our blades. we carried some monsters too :) i also carried a rmj tactical shrike and everybody loved it. it was a great tool.

jeremy is right about technically its up to the chain of command but the vast majority of them will not give 2 ****s what he is carrying as far as knives go, especially these days as they usually don't issue knives anymore. use to get a bayonet but they rarely carry those either.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    i got out in 2007, was a infantry boy and nobody ever said anything to us as far as our blades. we carried some monsters too :) i also carried a rmj tactical shrike and everybody loved it. it was a great tool.

jeremy is right about technically its up to the chain of command but the vast majority of them will not give 2 ****s what he is carrying as far as knives go, especially these days as they usually don't issue knives anymore. use to get a bayonet but they rarely carry those either.

I just got through Basic on June 30th. They have completely removed bayonet training from BCT. Well other than pugils but they class that as combatitives. From what the Drill Sergeants said, you can pretty much carry any blade you want.

Top Bottom