• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Sorry if this is a dupe, my search-fu sucks.
    It looks like those Korean Garands are finally coming home and will be available through the CMP:rockwoot:
    Up to 87,000 South Korean M1 Garands Coming Home - Gun News at Guns.com
    With the State Department reversing their position, the US and South Korean governments will be working to find an importer to bring these Garands home. They will be distributed through the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP), the government-chartered organization that promotes riflery and firearms safety.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Just buy one from CMP.

It's not that hard to do, and the service grades are typically in great shape for the money.

The Korean imports will be rough....mark my words.

General Lee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Anderson
    I dont think that CMP will get these.
    I know that there is already an importer.. They already have the ammo. And are getting the garands. There is more than one importer...
    Southern Ohio Gun Distributors, Inc. - Firearms, Accessories and Ammunition

This is from CMP:

GARANDS FROM KOREA: Once again our phone lines and email boxes are flooded with requests for information on the purchase of M1 Garands from Korea. The Korea Times reported last week that the U.S. Government had approved Korea's request to sell 86,000 M1 Garands to U.S. importers.

CMP is not a firearms importer and if these rifles are sold to U.S. importers, they will not come to the CMP or be sold by the CMP. We will not have any information on the sale of these rifles.

Thank you for your continued support.

Orest Michaels
    Chief Operating Officer

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Just buy one from CMP.

It's not that hard to do, and the service grades are typically in great shape for the money.

The Korean imports will be rough....mark my words.

My first Garand was an Arlington Ordnance 2.3 million Springfield that I bought at Wulff's. While it wasn't quite as rough as some of the other imported Garands that I've seen, I don't regret parting with it and using the funds to purchase a CMP service grade once I turned 21. My only complaint with the CMP rifle is that it's a Korean war piece, but I don't really care all that much because it's still a Garand and I enjoy shooting it.

Even though I doubt that CMP will see these despite what the article said, I'm glad these rifles are being brought in. It's just too bad that the M-1 carbines that were part of the same lot appear to have been excluded. Or maybe the authors just neglected to mention them. I won't be buying any of these though because I've no reason to whilst I can get one that's been checked by a professional armorer through the CMP.

Also, I snickered a little bit when I saw the following comment.

"We really like M1 Garands in .308, as they can still use en-block clips in addition to being chambered in a more modern, more versatile, and importantly, more available cartridge".

Not knocking 7.62x51, but if I want a platform in that caliber, I don't want an M14, M1a, or a re-barreled Garand, I'd rather use an FAL.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Join the Garand collectors association for $25/yr your LTCH covers the shooting part of the requirements Fill out paperwork and wait for your Garand

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    CMP is NOT getting these rifles, it was a misprint in the article. Its on the CMP forums. They have said from the get go that they would never get them since they can't/don't/won't import.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I was stationed in Korea, late 70's early 80's and saw a number of Korean "Home Guard" toting well worn Garands and carbines. I can only imagine the shape these re imports will be in. No thanks I have a low # (Oct 1941) manufactured Springfield all matching, I will hand down to my son. AP ammo I have for it is all corrosive 1953 black tip in bandoliers. I will never fire it again unless I have too. It just sits in the safe collecting dust till I die, then to a local store it go's so someone else can keep it.

Top Bottom