• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've played with both. Had a KSG, borrowed a UTS-15. Really didn't care much for either of them. The UTS-15, to me, felt cheap, boxy, huge, unwieldy. Action felt cheap and flimsy -- I always worried that the gun would fall apart when I ran it at anything more than 10% speed and enthusiasm.

The KSG, surprisingly, did NOT have those issues. It felt pretty sturdy, very small, very maneuverable. I loved the feel of it and the idea of it. My issues with it:
    1- Loading it is a pain in the @ss. You could certainly argue that it's very unlikely that you'll NEED to reload it in a HD/SD situation, and that's valid -- you can put a lot of buckshot in that bad boy, or half buck, half slugs, or whatever, but it's awkward and slow to load. I'm sure if you spent enough time, you could figure something out and make it work, but I did not.
    2- I short-stroked it all the time. I'll take this as MY problem, and not the gun's problem, but I've never had this issue on other pump guns. Even that wouldn't be a killer, but with this gun, when you short stroke it, it (or at least the one I had...) tends to jam badly -- to the point that you have to partially field strip it to clear it. Well, I suppose "have to" is strong -- maybe you could clear it with some pliers or a knife or something if you really needed to, but it's ugly.

I came away knowing that I loved the concept of a bullpup shotgun, but didn't like either of those guns, and went with a kushnapup. I'm still working through some of the typical saiga-12 issues with very light loads, but other than that, it runs very well and I think it's a better choice for me. Life's too short to waste it pumping a shotgun.

Free opinion, YMMV.

ssprang16

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    Merrillville
    I thought the UTS was better than KSG... Early production UTS were poor quality, but recent products have been much much better in terms of feeding issues

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I thought the UTS was better than KSG... Early production UTS were poor quality, but recent products have been much much better in terms of feeding issues

Have you seen any update reviews or is that from personal experience? Every review I've seen of the UTS is pretty scathing on how poorly the gun works.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I have both and they work ok. I prefer the UTAS over the KSG. It just feels better. Both are known for failure to function. Get a Remington 870 or 1187 and tweak it to your liking and you'll still be money ahead. I dont feel a need for a shotgun except for hunting. I dont have a place for a shotgun in home or personal defense.

96ramair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    Delphi
    I bought a ksg off here and sold it after I shot it.. kicks like a mule I could never find a good spot in my shoulder for it... Just an over priced toy..That being said I would by another one when supply meets demand. . When used ones can be bought for 500.00. Which im sure will ba awhile

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I have never handled or fired the KSG so have no opinion to give on the Keltec shotgun, but I have handled & fired a UTAS-15.
    Supposedly the makers of the UTAS-15 addressed a lot of the issues with the 1st generation guns & now have a gen 2 version out.
    It seemed like a pretty solid design, worked well, it had the cheapish feel like all polymer long guns do to me.
    That said I'm planning on buying a UTAS-15 this year, but mostly because of my fascination with bull pup style shotguns.
    For a home defense or general use shotgun I'll stick to a more conventional design.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Bringing this thread back to life as I have interest in bullpups as well.

Are there any new feelings/reviews on the KSG vs. UTS-15 vs. any other preferred model?
    Thanks for any input!

Top Bottom