• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 84v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Putnam county
    I'm looking for a decent gun belt without spending a lot of money. I found this Ladies Blackhawk belt from Cabelas in my price range. Has anyone tried this belt? Does anyone have suggestions for another belt?

Blackhawk!® Women's Reversible Pistol Belt : Cabela's

s7_944363_965_01

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    What am I missing? I wore a gun on my hip 24/7/365 in Alaska for a decade and always bought my belts at Goodwill stores. Granted men's belts but in Alaska even women wear Levi's all year in town with at least a sweatshirt over it so who can tell? If I wore my .357 I needed a wider belt for stability but if I was carrying my Tomcat .32 any belt that was fairly stiff would work. And, I paid 2-5 bucks for them.

I put my money into the holster and gun over belt but as I said...what am I missing?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Well, I don't know if you're missing it but there are advantages to a sturdier belt purpose-built for carrying a firearm. I imagine some belts that are not specifically marketed for carrying guns are just as sturdy. Most of them are not. In general, the advantages as I see them:

1. Most leather gun belts are made from heavier weight leather compared to standard belts. They are usually made of two pieces of leather sewn together such that the grain runs perpendicular. This supposedly limits stretching of the leather.
    2. Most leather gun belts are made from bull hide rather than cow hide, as it is stiffer and gives a more rigid belt.
    3. Some leather gun belts, and most non-leather gun belts, have a polymer (plastic, kydex, kevlar, whatever) stiffener sewn between the pieces to make the belt more rigid and supportive of the firearm.
    4. Many people find purpose-built gun belts last longer under severe duty of carrying and training with a firearm. (I have broken belts in training.)
    5. Many people find the rigid nature of a purpose-built gun belt holds the weight of the firearm more comfortably for longer periods of time.

As you mentioned, the holster is very important. The belt is the foundation of the holster. A good gun belt keeps the holster where it needs to be. It is as durable as your holster. It adds consistency and comfort to your carry system. Without your belt, your holster is much less useful.

A heavier firearm make the difference in comfort more noticable. More vigorous training makes the difference in quality and durability more noticable.

Last edited:

Tired of Lies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    Nashville
    Thanks. I could see where a kevlar stiffener would be nice with my .357 as it is bulky and moves around a lot unless I carefully matched the belt to the holster. On my small Tomcat or something similar I don't think it would help much more than a good men's belt. If they use bull hide I wonder what moose hide would do? I have seen some things the natives made out of it and it seems pretty tough. Maybe I can get one to make me a belt and check it out.

Thanks for the info. I might wind up ordering one of these once I get past the Christmas dollar draught.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Gun belts are also typically made to specific widths (1.25", 1.5", 1.75") to match the common sizes of belt loops on holsters. So if you buy a holster with matching loop size it should fit better. Even better, you can often purchase a belt and a holster from the same manufacturer. Higher end belt and holster makers take some care to assure their holsters and belts fit together well.

I don't know anything about moose hide, but horse hide is supposed to have tighter grains and a stiffer finished consistency than bull hide. Some manufacturers use other exotic materials like shark skin or elephant hide.

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    I have one of the victory girl belts by Looper. They are a little over the op's budget, but I saw on concealed carry pro that they are on sale - $10 off. I've ordered from them before and they are very quick and courteous.

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    What kind of belt would you suggest for a "wide-hipped" woman? Or would a purse be better? Thanks.

I don't know what "wide" is, but I feel my hips are wide and I ordered a victory girl by looper. I like it. I think I would have ordered a size up of their suggestions.

84v

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2013
    Putnam county
    Thanks for the feedback. I ended up ordering a new holster from foxxholsters and decided to try one of their belts. The holster and belt should show up in a couple days.

Top Bottom