• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I made a comment to those who don't own rural land and wish they did in another post.

Having land does have some advantages and disadvantages. It is my belief that holding what you have at a rural location requires 4 groups. One group per 8 hour shift and one in reserve. That minimum group size is 12 able body teenagers to adults. Kids under 12 don't "really" count for my example.

Having land means you can try out some ideas or activities in you backyard without raising attention.

We need to improve the means of landowners and city/suburban members to cross train or partner up.

Post your ideas!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    ... an inviting a hord of people on your property to see your resources is a good thing how? Sorry, this MSG thing may not be for me after all.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    my preps....a jar of peanut butter, a case of water, 50 rounds of .22 rimfire and an old 10/22 are not that impressive.

I've had a few members over at my place several times, and I have no concerns.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I think, this is a great idea, a few people, could get together, shoot, prepare food, set up shelter, and plan "bugout" details... kind of like "survivor", in the backyard ..... :twocents:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is just my opinion, but I would think the first thing someone would want to do, as a land owner, is improve the land.

If you need someone to cut trees, garden, build, dig, wire, plumb, or weld, this city slicker can lend a hand.

Self sufficiency should be the first goal, and it's the long lead time item.

Defense is very short lead time.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    This is just my opinion, but I would think the first thing someone would want to do, as a land owner, is improve the land.

If you need someone to cut trees, garden, build, dig, wire, plumb, or weld, this city slicker can lend a hand.

So noted!

Also I just posted a thread on ideas and events- be sure to think over what you might be able to share!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...136267-msg_3_2011_outdoor_events_-_ideas.html

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    First each group member should be able to take care of themselves.

Second, carefully vet whom you let in your circle. If its a true MSG these guys could be responsible for your family. How are going to know that the dude in your group is not a KKK member, Rapist, Molester etc.

Small group of squared away trusted dudes is what you should strive for.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Second, carefully vet whom you let in your circle.
    You nailed it!

I already have that trust and faith in my hunting group, and it was why i asked the question.

Some guys on here can't be trusted with a dried food order, and they're not coming any of my properties.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    First each group member should be able to take care of themselves.

Second, carefully vet whom you let in your circle. If its a true MSG these guys could be responsible for your family. How are going to know that the dude in your group is not a KKK member, Rapist, Molester etc.

:yesway::yesway:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    ... an inviting a hord of people on your property to see your resources is a good thing how? Sorry, this MSG thing may not be for me after all.

If you're all prepped up and don't need to learn any skills, or meet other people to possibly include in your group, then attending an MSG event probably isn't for you.

But, not everyone has a huge group of trusted allies that they've hunted, camped, or served with for years.

I've held several MSG events at my house. Not many people know what my long term preps are, or where they are. The people who would be welcome to stay know it.

I think it's a good idea to have your trusted group over to plan, and even walk through scenarios. Nobody is suggesting you have to open your place up to just any joe off the internet.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If you're all prepped up and don't need to learn any skills, or meet other people to possibly include in your group, then attending an MSG event probably isn't for you.

But, not everyone has a huge group of trusted allies that they've hunted, camped, or served with for years.

I've held several MSG events at my house. Not many people know what my long term preps are, or where they are. The people who would be welcome to stay know it.

I think it's a good idea to have your trusted group over to plan, and even walk through scenarios. Nobody is suggesting you have to open your place up to just any joe off the internet.

My name is not Joe so can I play:D The MSG is a great idea to get to know like minded people in your area. It could be an asset to someone who is willing to work together or learn but not a good idea for people who are loners or depend on others for all of their help:twocents:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    My name is not Joe so can I play:D The MSG is a great idea to get to know like minded people in your area. It could be an asset to someone who is willing to work together or learn but not a good idea for people who are loners or depend on others for all of their help:twocents:

My name's not Joe either (though I do know a couple :D) but I can see the benefits behind a MSG. I have friends that if I mention prepping/stockpiling they roll their eyes and bring up tin foil hats. I don't see prepping as "I am 100% sure TEOTWAWKI is next week" so much as being prepared to take care of myself and my son. I'm smart enough to realize I can't necessarily do that by myself.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    So, now that that's worked out, what are some activities, MSG land owners could do with their trusted group of friends.

Discuss mitigation of threats to the house and property.
    Practice walking the property and setting up lines of defense (could also do table top exercises.)
    Practice responding to home invasions from both inside and outside the house.
    Secure a panic room (could use trusted friends who can swing a hammer.)
    Practice bug out in-place w/ rotating security shifts.
    Help with prepping supplies for storage/hiding/caching.
    Help with setting up gardens/pens.
    Help with setting up shooting backstop.

Doing my chores for me...

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

This would be the order I'm going to recommend and follow:

• Defense - Setup can be short lead time, but having a plan for defense is first.
    • Security - no sense in improving things if the house/garage/storage can be broken into.
    • Supplies - supplies for family and others
    • Improvements/Repairs

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    So, now that that's worked out, what are some activities, MSG land owners could do with their trusted group of friends.

Practice walking the property and setting up lines of defense (could also do table top exercises.)

yes to all :D

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

Doing my chores for me...

I may know a guy who can help with a few of those things if someone wanted it:D

Top Bottom