• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    does any body know if it better to use the style that slides in the end of the barrel or if the cartidge type is better...any help on this subject would be very helful to me and maybe some others

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    By my thinking, in theory at least, a muzzle spud "should" be more accurate.

I haven't had great luck with any of those friends have bought.

I've found that I can get on rifles on paper as good or better than most boresighters by securing the rifle on a good rest with a solid rear bag, adjusting the rifle barrel to center on a well lit 1" square sticker on the wall 25' away, then adjusting the scope to the same point of aim - of course, not moving the rifle during any of this.

Big bores are easier with a slightly larger aiming point, small bores with a slightly smaller aiming point.

Your mileage may vary.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    By my thinking, in theory at least, a muzzle spud "should" be more accurate.

I haven't had great luck with any of those friends have bought.

I've found that I can get on rifles on paper as good or better than most boresighters by securing the rifle on a good rest with a solid rear bag, adjusting the rifle barrel to center on a well lit 1" square sticker on the wall 25' away, then adjusting the scope to the same point of aim - of course, not moving the rifle during any of this.

Big bores are easier with a slightly larger aiming point, small bores with a slightly smaller aiming point.

Your mileage may vary.

Great advice:yesway:. Thats how I do mine.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    I used the cartridge type and it was close enough to speed up the sight in process, the other styles had poor reviews so I'd go with the cartridge style if I got another one.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I have the "universal" one that looks like a stick where you put the correct size attachment on the end, then shove it into the barrel. It's not worth anything. The weight of where the batteries and laser are makes the entire thing slump down. Even holding it with your hands doesn't make it tight enough to stay in place where it is straight out of the barrel.

I actually "bore sighted" my new scope in, took it to the range and didn't even hit the board, let alone the 8" sight in target.

Luckily a fellow shooter had his Leupold boresight system. It was some type of magnet that attached to the end of the barrel and made a holographic target in your scope. Not sure how it worked exactly, he just put it on and told me where to put the crosshairs. I was 2" away from the bullseye on the first shot!

If anyone knows where to find one of these, please PM me and let me know. It's the best boresighter system I've ever used, and I highly recommend it. However I can't speak for the cartridge type as I've never used one. :(

ETA: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Zero-Point-Boresighter-59012/dp/B001HN5GK8"]http://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Zero-Point-Boresighter-59012/dp/B001HN5GK8[/ame] There's the Leupold boresighter! Expensive, but it really is amazing!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=675745 Cheaper on Midway by $5

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I have the universal muzzle end one. I have had good results with it. You have to put the bushing on the small end and adjust it to be snug in the bore. Then push it all the way in to let the angled portion center in the bore. For $35 it gets me on paper or better.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Last time I had to sight in a scoped rifle, I just set it on my "7" rest, and got the irons lined up with the target, then dialed the scope into it. From there, it just required minor adjustments. I've used the "look down the barrel" method in the past as well, though. I've also heard to take a spent shell casing, knock the primer out, and put it in the chamber, and THEN look through the primer hole and down the barrel. Tightens things up a bit.

Top Bottom