• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I just watched the movie 12 Rounds, and a scene in it got me wondering. The cop runs up to a driver and shows him his badge and tells him to get out, he's taking his car. Then proceeds to drive off in the guys car and pretty much destroys it. Is it a law that if a law officer tells you to give him your car you must, or can you refuse and drive off?
    I know in the movies they always comply, but I didn't know if it's based on any rule of law.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I doubt I'd be inclined to do anything other than drive off leaving the officer standing with his thumb up his ass. I do not know if there's any provision of law that would allow a cop to confiscate my vehicle without me committing a crime, so he'd be SOL, I don't care who he's chasing.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have some gasoline for this discussion...

Legal or not, there's always the "refusal to help/impeding an officer in his duty" argument, for which I am sure the crime is codified in the statutes somewhere. Someone with a burr up his butt would probably be willing to make life difficult for the guy who refused to sacrifice his vehicle.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have some gasoline for this discussion...

Legal or not, there's always the "refusal to help/impeding an officer in his duty" argument, for which I am sure the crime is codified in the statutes somewhere. Someone with a burr up his butt would probably be willing to make life difficult for the guy who refused to sacrifice his vehicle.

It seems though that if his situation were dire enough to warrant attempting to confiscate your car, sticking around to arrest you for refusing would be an unwise use of the officer's time.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It seems though that if his situation were dire enough to warrant attempting to confiscate your car, sticking around to arrest you for refusing would be an unwise use of the officer's time.
    Purple. And I have no doubt about the likelihood of getting one after the fact.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But just like the movies and "no guns" signs, the average sheeple would jump out assuming what they were being told was law and that THE MAN was correct without questioning it. "Why would they say they could if it wasnt legal? Signs and cops never lie!"

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    With all the talk lately about INGO cars rusting out, a car from here would pretty much self-destruct, so no worries about the officer destroying it. I love my truck, but I could see me, in a very extreme situation, aiding an officer in this manner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With all the talk lately about INGO cars rusting out, a car from here would pretty much self-destruct, so no worries about the officer destroying it. I love my truck, but I could see me, in a very extreme situation, aiding an officer in this manner.

Like I said.....Might help but I am driving.

Top Bottom