• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    So I have a pretty simple question (or so I thought). I will probably just end up calling an ATF in Indy tomorrow, but just want to know what you guys think.

So here it goes. Is it legal for my girlfriend (who is over 21) to purchase a handgun from a dealer and give it to me as a birthday present (turning 20)? I know I can buy guns from private people(as I have done before), but can she gift me a handgun seeing as I could not buy the gun myself from the FFL?

Thanks for your replies :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can legally purchase the gun from her as a private transaction once you turn 18. Federal law (not state law) prevents an FFL from selling to you until you turn 21. I'm not sure if gifting it to you would be considered a straw purchase. I'm also not sure if her purchase with intent to sell or gift to you is a straw purchase. I think the "straw purchase" only comes into play if you are otherwise prohibited from buying a handgun (felony background, certified nutbag, etc.).

Last edited:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm not sure if gifting it to you would be considered a straw purchase. I think the "straw purchase" only comes into play if you are otherwise prohibited from buying a handgun (felony background, etc.).

Thats the part that stumped me, because I don't fall under the BATFE's definition of a prohibited persons, but i was confused because of the age requirement for FFLs.

Thanks for your fast reply too :)

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    You're dating an older chick that wants to buy you a gun for your birthday?? Damn man, I think you already HAVE your birthday present!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    You're dating an older chick that wants to buy you a gun for your birthday?? Damn man, I think you already HAVE your birthday present!

Yes sir I do believe you are correct :D

We got our lifetime permits together about 3 months ago and its always fun taking her down to the HNF and shooting :)

Top Bottom