• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm considering a new BUG, as my wife has appropriated mine. New j-frames have Hillary holes and don't interest me. Since a Ruger GP100 is one of my main carry guns, if I go wheel gun I'm going .357 LCR. I'd likely replace the front sight. If I go Shield I'll need an Apex trigger kit. So, whatcha think for ankle carry, .357 LCR or .40 Shield?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    How thick are your ankles. I've got a shield, and no way would that fit on my ankle. The grip is longer than the compact m&p.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How thick are your ankles. I've got a shield, and no way would that fit on my ankle. The grip is longer than the compact m&p.

I haven't set them on top of each other, but per manufacturer stats the Shield is 4.6" tall and the LCR is 4.5" tall. For funsies, I did look up the compact M&P, and you're right, it is shorter at 4.3" tall which is the same as a j-frame.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have an LCR and I really like it but I have not tried ankle carry. I think the LCR would be a bit to wide to ankle carry comfortably.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    LCR.

With ankle carry, you take the chance of kicking up dust, dirt, grime onto your carry gun.
    And IMO, the dirty revolver would be more reliable vs a dirty small semi auto

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    If I go Shield I'll need an Apex trigger kit. So, whatcha think for ankle carry, .357 LCR or .40 Shield?

Have you tried out the Shield trigger? It's not like the M&P compact and full size trigger. It's much better. So you may not need the APEX kit. But if you have tested it and still want the APEX than that's a different story. Just wanted to make sure you weren't just assuming it was the same trigger as the other M&Ps. Can't say I've tried ankle carry with my Shield.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    IMO, any internal/concealed hammer revolver is a better choice. Full hammer revolvers or semi auto pistols pick up too much dust/dirt/debris which may affect function if they are not cleaned regularly.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I don't trust the quality of the LCR as I've seen and heard of a number locking up. A friend of mine had one for a day and a half of a debethencourt revolver class before the pot metal firing pin peened to the point where it jammed forward and seized the gun solid.

I regularly carry a glock 26 on my ankle, so I doubt you'll have a problem concealing the shield. Also, I rarely clean it and have never had dirt cause a malfunction. I've had the first shot throw off a cloud of dust and lint. Mainly I find it stays on the surface and doesn't effect functioning.

If you want a j frame to maintain commonality with your regular carry gun, get a smith without the internal lock.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you tried out the Shield trigger? It's not like the M&P compact and full size trigger. It's much better. So you may not need the APEX kit. But if you have tested it and still want the APEX than that's a different story. Just wanted to make sure you weren't just assuming it was the same trigger as the other M&Ps. Can't say I've tried ankle carry with my Shield.

Thanks for that info, the only Shield I've shot was a 9mm that already had an Apex kit. I thought it was the same stock as the compact, which I have fingered in stock condition but not stock.

Dirtdart504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Bargersville, IN
    I have a friend who broke his ankle because of a G27 in an ankle holster. He was running and stepped wrong on a curb in a parking lot. The gun caused his ankle to torque just right and it snapped. I think the Shield and LCR are a little thinner, and this might not be an issue. But, after that, I will never use an ankle holster again.

Top Bottom