• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    There are a lot of factors at work here. First of all, HP38 or WW231 is a much better powder application.

Secondly the load listed is quite lite and is better punched up a bit as Slow Hand points out.

Lastly the one thing no one has mentioned yet is the type of lube used. Most commercially offered cast slugs use some form of lube that is of a composition hard enough to survive the rigors of shipping but not conducive to proper barrel lube. If you can pick up the bullet using your thumb and forefinger and set it down not leaving any lube on your fingers, it will not supply sufficient lube qualities. A mixture of anhydrous lanolin, bees wax, and alox will give proper lube on flat based cast slugs to as much as 1500fps in a lot of cases.

As stated in the Lyman cast bullet handbook and many other sources, NEVER FIRE JACKETED SLUGS THROUGH A BARREL THAT HAS BEEN USING CAST WITHOUT A THOROUGH CLEANING FIRST.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    There are a lot of factors at work here. First of all, HP38 or WW231 is a much better powder application.

Secondly the load listed is quite lite and is better punched up a bit as Slow Hand points out.

Lastly the one thing no one has mentioned yet is the type of lube used. Most commercially offered cast slugs use some form of lube that is of a composition hard enough to survive the rigors of shipping but not conducive to proper barrel lube. If you can pick up the bullet using your thumb and forefinger and set it down not leaving any lube on your fingers, it will not supply sufficient lube qualities. A mixture of anhydrous lanolin, bees wax, and alox will give proper lube on flat based cast slugs to as much as 1500fps in a lot of cases.

As stated in the Lyman cast bullet handbook and many other sources, NEVER FIRE JACKETED SLUGS THROUGH A BARREL THAT HAS BEEN USING CAST WITHOUT A THOROUGH CLEANING FIRST.

These bullets come with some kind of blue lube in the grooves. Is there any way to add more lube possibly tumble in a molly lube? I sure would like to be able to shoot these without the leading problem. I am going to pick up some different powder after I try and bump the TG load up a little. Actually how about Unique I believe I have some of that laying around? Shooting lead through a barrel it should last forever, and it is half the cost. I do not mind cleaning and usually do after every range session which is always at least 200 rounds or so. It is my carry gun and I believe in keeping it clean. But the lead is a pain to get out.
    Even though some may have had no problems shooting the lead out of a barrel with a jacketed round I will not be doing it myself. Just goes against everything I was ever taught. I don't want mine to be the first one you guys hear about blowing while up doing this.
    Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I've hear dog people using Lee Liquid Alox on casy bullets with hard lube. Soft lubes work better for pistol velocities, but they are harder on the folks that manufacture and ship the bullets. I'd suggest upping the loads (safely) and maybe even getting a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox and tumble lubing them as directed on the bottle. I bet your leading problems will dissapear.

Doug K

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Although I've never done it, I see no reason you couldn't set the slugs on a cookie sheet and set them in an oven set hot enough to melt the lube but not the slugs, then relube them. Lee liquid alox works fair at best but is still better than the lube used by most commercial manufacturers. When using the liquid I prefer to use the dipping method over the tumble method. A bit less messy.

I think when you get your load up to speed you'll see a vast improvement. Try the Unique since you have it already but in an amount that will deliver more pressure than your present load. I'd look for something in the 1,000fps+ neighborhood and adjust from there.

Just for giggles take a look at the link below for a real education on cast slugs. I spend a lot of time there just reading and learning. There is one old boy there I've had custom build H&I dies for my lube sizer. Great bunch guys there that are always willing to help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Main causes of excessive leading are 1) no obturation resulting in gas blow-by. 2) Using bullets undersized for your bore, if they're not a good fit you will also get blow-by. 3) Very soft (pure lead swaged) bullets. 4) revolvers chamber throats smaller than the bore diameter. Bullet gets swaged down passing through the throat and ends up undersized for the bore dia. 5) RLL- really lousy lube. Try driving a bullet through the bbl. and then measure its dia. If it's the same dia. coming out as going in you need slightly larger bullets. About .001" over bore dia. Really light loads will not give you obturation.

Top Bottom