• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Never underestimate what they can do. I asked my wife yesterday to get into our new safe to grab some cleaner, my 8 YO daughter piped up "I will get it for you daddy" and hopped up and got to the safe, she proceeded to type in the correct code but forgot the # sign thank the lord. My wife and I have probably only said the code outloud probably 2-3 times tops.

Remember little ears are listening and they are more capable than you can imagine. My heart skiiped a few beats watching her type in the correct code knowing that she had access to the things I was trying in part to protect her from with the safe. I have since changed the code and now me and the wife ONLY know the code and we will not say it aloud.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The little ones learn at a rate faster than we can imagine. And they pay very close attention to adult conversations.... much more than we would expect. I'm seeing this with the grandaughter now.She'll squirrel away what she learns, and later,up it pops...much to my surprise.
    Thank heaven you caught and corrected this, and disaster was averted.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I can tell you from experience how fast 40-50 kids who do not appear to be paying any sort of attention to a bus driver when he/she misses a turn or calls the wrong kids name...

they all listen... what they do with what they hear... well...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I was one that started forming long term memories before I even knew how old I was. i remember my first birthday, and having my diaper changed. My son did the same sort of thing; he had the sense of time outside his immediate view by the age of two. you underestimate a child's mind at your peril. However, don't necessarily fear her; she may be ready to be introduced to them at a much younger age than you would expect.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Knowing her boundaries is what impresses me. You must be doing something right! She knew the code, but knew to leave it alone. Sounds like she was trying to impress you ("I can show daddy how good I have been.").

But, yeah, change the code anyway!

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Knowing her boundaries is what impresses me. You must be doing something right! She knew the code, but knew to leave it alone. Sounds like she was trying to impress you ("I can show daddy how good I have been.").

But, yeah, change the code anyway!

For sure, she knows not to touch mommy and daddies guns. She has also been brought to the range and has fired my wifes Buckmark and has been taught gun safety. She was just trying to be helpful, it was just the thought that she did know that was upsetting.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    For sure, she knows not to touch mommy and daddies guns. She has also been brought to the range and has fired my wifes Buckmark and has been taught gun safety. She was just trying to be helpful, it was just the thought that she did know that was upsetting.

You raise them right and it doesn't matter if they have access to your firearms. They'll behave themselves.

Safes and trigger locks are as new to most households as child seats and bicycle helmets for 10 year olds. We got along fine without them before.

I see too many people who use "safety" devices as a crutch.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Yeah but I can also admit that I was a curious kid and "looked" at my dads guns when he wasn't home. Our home was very open about guns, a gun in every corner type of home, I was taught how to handle them and the fear of God was put into me about playing with them. Around 15 or 16 though I thought I was a god, never got hurt but plenty of chances.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It sure is amazing how the young ones learn so fast. My 5 year old is constantly surprising me. Hell in just a few years he will probably be smarter than me if he isn't already!

Top Bottom