• ...and so much more!
  • Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    MA hallo,
    I have a Lee Loadmaster and managed to fix the auto primmer took a little doing so I am mechanically inclined.

That being said I am reaching out to any one who has one. I am using the bullet seat with out crimp and a separate factory crimp die. I am having a issue with the over all length of the round.
    I am loading 40 S/W and it calls for 1.125 and I am getting from 1.11 to 1.136.

I am thinking I will have to use the bullet seat and crimp ( all in one die) and then do a second crimp with my factory crimp die.

any impute would be great.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    You haven't mentioned the bullet type (profile).

A couple things to look for. Look inside the seating die and make sure it's absolutely clean inside. Any gunk in there could vary your seating depth.

Depending on the die your using the seater plug inside the seating die could have two profiles for your bullet type. One end of the plug will be for a round nose and with the plug flipped over it would be for a flat nose type bullet. You would have to unscrew the adjuster and remove the plug to find out.

Make sure your not short stroking the press. Every stroke must be a complete follow through.

Sometimes there will always be a slight variance of OAL because measuring from the tip to tail of the bullet will vary depending on the quality of the bullets. I measure with a ogive tool so the measurements are consistent. Although the differences your seeing is too large for this to be the case.

In any case I would not recommend you crimp twice.

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    Check your bullets to make sure that they are all the same length. Are you short stroking your lever ? Do not over crimp, the bullet will lengthen .

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    So, are you having feed issues in your gun?

Posters above mention likely sources of variation, but if the ammo works, you don't actually have a problem. +/- 0.01" isn't going to change pressure, won't noticeably affect accuracy, and (probably) won't affect function in your firearm. So don't make a problem where one doesn't exist. If you are having function issues, it still probably isn't +/- 0.01" OAL that's causing it.

Sorry to be that guy, I guess...

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte

A couple things to look for. Look inside the seating die and make sure it's absolutely clean inside. Any gunk in there could vary your seating depth.

Depending on the die your using the seater plug inside the seating die could have two profiles for your bullet type. One end of the plug will be for a round nose and with the plug flipped over it would be for a flat nose type bullet. You would have to unscrew the adjuster and remove the plug to find out.

Make sure your not short stroking the press. Every stroke must be a complete follow through.

Sometimes there will always be a slight variance of OAL because measuring from the tip to tail of the bullet will vary depending on the quality of the bullets. I measure with a ogive tool so the measurements are consistent. Although the differences your seeing is too large for this to be the case.

I am loading Berry plated round nose 180 grain, when my readings went to heck I started using the cartage gauge and that is when the numbers started to settle down but still in the 1.11 to 1.13 ranges.
    I am using in stage four of the press the bullet seating and crimping die with the die that came with the 40 S/w die set (NOT TURNED DOWN HALF TURN AFTER SHELL CONTACT) making it just a bullet seating die.
    In stage five I have a lee factory crimp die.

There is a good chance I am short stocking the press being new to this. I will clean the die this afternoon and flip the insert.

Hope my bullet puller shows up in the mail today I have a lot of work for it. ...

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    I am loading Berry plated round nose 180 grain, when my readings went to heck I started using the cartage gauge and that is when the numbers started to settle down but still in the 1.11 to 1.13 ranges.
    I am using in stage four of the press the bullet seating and crimping die with the die that came with the 40 S/w die set (NOT TURNED DOWN HALF TURN AFTER SHELL CONTACT) making it just a bullet seating die.

There is a good chance I am short stocking the press being new to this. I will clean the die this afternoon and flip the insert.

Hope my bullet puller shows up in the mail today I have a lot of work for it. ...

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    Long weekend,
    pulled 75 short bullets (ovl was 1.11 needed to be 1.125).
    I am loading to min 180 gr. plated berry bullet .40 s/w cci primer (500) HS-6 7.8 gr powder (minimum powder charge) calling for OAL of 1.125.
    after looking at the posted ideas and readjusting the press I was able to limit the range to:

1.121 to 1.129
    I am pretty sure the error is me and consistent pressure. The Question is .004 a big enough of a deal to pull 50 more bullets apart again.

I am shooting targets out sig p226.

Thanks for the help

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I wouldnt worry about it if it were me. It headspaces on the case mouth... worste case you might have some verticle stringing and out of a handgun YOU are more likely to add more influence to shot placement than the .004 of seating depth.

What is your caliber calibrated to. might only be to .002 anyways.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    As a new reloaded I was more conserined with safety. My goal is to get comfitable reloading and then as I get better adjustment the load to something I like to shoot.

Safety is my first goal.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You don't need separate crimp die for Lee auto pistol dies, if adjusted correctly. .40S&W is what I load the most of on the Loadmaster.

And yes, when you set up the die on the Loadmaster (I check each station individually first) you then have to recheck all the stations when you have a full shell plate, because there is a little more flex/stretch of the press and it usually takes a slight adjustment.

Here's how I adjust the seating/crimping die. (I put this die in first before all the other stations.)

Screw in the seating die until it touches the shell plate.
    Back out the die 1/2 turn.
    Back the bullet seater out.
    Make a dummy round-no powder or primer...
    Set a bullet in the case, raise the ram
    Screw in the bullet seater until it touches the bullet
    Lower the ram slightly (you don't want to advance the shell plate)
    a.Screw the seater in slightly.
    b.Seat the bullet
    c.Lower the ram slightly, take the dummy round out and measure.
    Keep doing a,b,c until you get the desires COL.
    Lower the ram slightly.
    Unscrew the bullet seater.
    With the dummy round in place, raise the ram.
    Screw in the die until it touches the round plate.
    i. Lower the ram slightly and turn the die in 1/8-1/6th turn.
    ii. Put the dummy round in the shell plate.
    iii. Raise the ram and crimp the bullet.
    iv. Lower the ram slightly and take the round out
    v. Measure the OD of the case mouth - compare to the cartridge drawing -- 0.423" for the .40 S&W.
    Repeat i,ii,ii,iv,v until you get the desired case mouth dimension.
    Lock the die in place with the lock ring
    Put the round back in the press.
    Raise the ram
    Screw in the bullet seater until it stops on the bullet.

Die is adjusted. Recheck everything with your first loaded round, adjust if needed.
    Keep the dummy round to quickly set up your die again later with that bullet if needed.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I'm glad you're thinking safety first, but you didn't need to tear down those reloads. And you certainly don't need to tear down your current batch. The error you're measuring is not significant.

It's always a good idea to make a small batch of ammo and try it in your gun. Every gun makes it's own rules, so you really need to try the ammo in your gun. It won't be fun if you load 500 rounds and then discover they don't cycle your gun.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    That is so true, went to the range they shot well. I need to do some more research on my powder change. see if i can get it to a little softer recoil.

Thanks all for the help so far I know I will have more questions

R/
    mike

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom