• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Im going to buy a lee turrent press in the next couple of days to reload 45 and 9mm anybody like or dislike these? They seem like there about the cheapests ones you can get so im a little weary of getting one

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I dont have a turret, but I love my single stage Lee press. For the price of $80 I do the same thing on it that people do with their $300 RCBS or Dillion press.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    There are a lot of people that like Lee but I haven't had anything but bad luck with all their stuff aside from their dies. I bought a Lee Pro-1000 and it was a mess. I do not want to tinker with something for days just to get it to run as advertised. The turret press doesn't seem like it should suffer from the same problems as the progressives would but I would say to save your money up a bit longer and go with an RCBS or Hornady and you'll come out money ahead in the long run.

I bought an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme a few years ago and I'm figuring 50,000 pulls of the handle later it is still as solid and smooth as the day it came out of the package. I'm actually going to upgrade to a Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press here in the next month or so since I shoot far more now than I did when I initially bought the single-stage.

Again, there are some very passionate fans of Lee, and I own several of their reloading dies and they are great, but a few dollars more will get you a much hardier and longer lasting piece. Besides, the press is the heart and soul of a reloading station, don't go cheap on the most important part.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Again, there are some very passionate fans of Lee, and I own several of their reloading dies and they are great, but a few dollars more will get you a much hardier and longer lasting piece. Besides, the press is the heart and soul of a reloading station, don't go cheap on the most important part.

I have to disagree with this part of this statement. When you're comparing the steel that Lee uses to the others, you're looking at the same thing. My grandfather's Lee has been around since before my time... so well over 26 years. Lee will last just as long as the other presses.

Also you're not just looking at a "few dollars" more... you're looking at a difference of $110 for the Lee compared to $400 for the RCBS. I'm sure the RCBS will come with a few more features than the Lee, like the Rock Chucker single stage does, but the life of the press is going to be a long long time for both presses.

Cheap doesn't always mean "crap". Sometimes people just make affordable products because they want to sell it.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I started on a Lee Turret. I bought it used and it was quite a few years old at that point. It was a good press, but the need for speed had me buying a Dillon within a year.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I just set my Lee 4 hole turret press up last night. haven't used it yet but I did a lot of research of all the different brands and models and felt that this was best for me. Good price point, ease of use, decent speed compared to single stage, quality of product, availability of parts, dies from other presses are interchangeable compared to Dillon, and most importantly........QUE has one!!!!!

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I've had a Lee 4 hole turret for several yrs now. No complaints beyond the plastic piece your spindle goes, to index the turret will wear out and need replaced. Cost .50 from Lee.

Other than that I load all my pistol cartridges on it. I don't like Lee powder measures so I use my Lyman DPS to meter powder. By the time I get 1 bullet done and another case resized and primed, it's ready for powder.

It's not as fast as an LNL or Dillon, but I can get 100-150/hr loaded.

One nice thing about the Lee Turret is you can switch out turrets in the mater of 15 seconds or less and keep loading in a different caliber. I keep all my pistol dies on the turrets just so I can drop in and keep going.

You can go to Lee and buy 2nd hand turrets for $9.00ea. with a flat $5.00 shipping fee regardless of whats shipped.

I've been actually considering a 2nd 4 hole turret, if I don't go for an LNL first.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I started on a Lee 4-hole turret press and love it still. I've upgraded to a progressive since then but I still do a lot of work on my turret. I took the spindle out of mine to make it a quick-change single stage and it has never failed me.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I love my Lee presses. I just updated my 3 hole to auto indexing 4 hole, and it is great for rifle calibers and my rimmed pistol when I don't have a lot to reload. I started on a pro 1000 and it seems to not have any issues at all. I change the head for my calibers and go. OTOH, my load master is finicky as H**l, but I like that it is a 5 holer, so that I can crimp on the final touch.
    Everyone here has what they like to use, but I don't think you can be Lee quality or their service for the money. In fact, whenever I have ordered parts for mine, they always send extras and have great shipping time.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    Just a heads up cabelas online has the turret press package deal for $99 and it's only $5 shipping. I ordered one last night :D can't wait to start reloading.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    Hey Que does Bradis also stock the accessories for the turret press? Thanks for the info I have only been there once and at the time I was not even thinking about reloading.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    For the whole kit?

That's for the press, only. The dies are an extra charge.

Hey Que does Bradis also stock the accessories for the turret press? Thanks for the info I have only been there once and at the time I was not even thinking about reloading.

They have everything you need; however, they only carry the 3-die sets. :( I prefer the 4-die sets in order to have a factory crimp. I know it doesn't matter much to others, but I'm just like that.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Mine was $79.99 at Bradis. :yesway:

Cabela's has the kit on sale for $99.00 Bradis price is just for the press unless you got the special INGO Mod Que awesome discount.

The kit includes a scale and some deburring, chamfering tools auto disc powder measure, primer pocket cleaner

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Cabela's has the kit on sale for $99.00 Bradis price is just for the press unless you got the special INGO Mod Que awesome discount.

The kit includes a scale and some deburring, chamfering tools auto disc powder measure, primer pocket cleaner

I guess for $30, the extra stuff may be worth it, but I got all of that in the Anniversary Kit and I don't use any of it anymore. I would probably get an electronic scale and powder trickler and go with the powder dipper that comes with the dies.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info Que.

and yes the kit at cabelas is on back order but it didn't matter to me because I'm not in a hurry to reload, I need to go shoot some of my ammo so I can reload it anyways :ar15::D

Top Bottom