Legal / Shipping question..................

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glennster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    If I ship a Hand Gun from Indiana to an FFL in another state, can I ship it UPS ground without shipping from a local FFL?
    I heard that it is OK, but the FFL I ship to would need a copy of the sellers drivers license to show who it was transferred from.
    I appreciate any help I can get. THANKS!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I should also add that, yes, you can ship a firearm yourself. It's when you receive a gun that a FFL is required.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    UPS's rules. Not the law.

Some FFL's will ship it for you USPS at a decent savings.

I stand corrected. USPS will ship handguns, but their rules are that it must be going to a dealer, so FFL03 (C&R) receivers are most likely not valid. Although, I did receive one via USPS, but then next gun from the same dealer was sent via UPS.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It also must be shipped by a FFL. I don't remember if C&R is excluded... maybe because it's not there? It's been a while since I read the rules...

The rules for USPS can be found on the UPSP web site... but it takes about an hour to find them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I ship a Hand Gun from Indiana to an FFL in another state, can I ship it UPS ground without shipping from a local FFL?
    I heard that it is OK, but the FFL I ship to would need a copy of the sellers drivers license to show who it was transferred from.
    I appreciate any help I can get. THANKS!

SOME FFLs won't accept shipments from a non-FFL. Check first.

Your common carrier will want the money to ship a firearm over-night.

Non-FFL holders cannot ship handguns via USPS.

An FFL holder can ship a handgun via USPS for roughly $20...though may charge you $30 because gun shops gotta make money too.

If you decide to go with a common carrier and do it yourself, keep in mind that you're not legally required to tell them that it's a firearm. But if that's found out (via x-ray...some other random inspection...broken packaging...theft/non-delivery/insurance claim)... Then you'll be SOL because you didn't abide by their rules.

IF you play by their rules and pony up for what they want, expect to be $50+ depending on where in the country it's going.

Personally, I think your best bet is to get in touch with a reasonable gun shop / FFL in your area and inquire what they'll charge to ship a firearm for you. I can almost guarantee that it'll be less expensive for you that way.

-J-

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Go fed Ex 3rd day air. Lots cheaper.
    The FFL dealer you're shipping to can arrange a pick up at your home for it, and if it's registered in your name, you can have that FFL dealer ship it right back to you since you're the owner and the gun is in your name. No FFL required to recieve it.
    Only reason why I know this is I had a T/C Encore pistol with a Bullberry barrel made for it. The Barrel wouldn't fit due to tighter than normal specs of the T/C frame.
    Bullberry arranged pickup at my home, and it shipped right back to my home 3 days later. They had to have the frame for measurements for future reference and to correct the problem.

Ooops reread the op. But what I put up here might help someone else down the road.
    Can you see if the FFL dealer will arrange for pickup and you pay charges that way?

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Go fed Ex 3rd day air. Lots cheaper.
    The FFL dealer you're shipping to can arrange a pick up at your home for it, and if it's registered in your name, you can have that FFL dealer ship it right back to you since you're the owner and the gun is in your name. No FFL required to recieve it.
    Only reason why I know this is I had a T/C Encore pistol with a Bullberry barrel made for it. The Barrel wouldn't fit due to tighter than normal specs of the T/C frame.
    Bullberry arranged pickup at my home, and it shipped right back to my home 3 days later. They had to have the frame for measurements for future reference and to correct the problem.

Ooops reread the op. But what I put up here might help someone else down the road.
    Can you see if the FFL dealer will arrange for pickup and you pay charges that way?
    Laws are different for muzzle loading guns, but yes many manufacturers (Colt for instance) will return ship to individuals

Top Bottom