• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Just can't help myself from commenting. To each his own for personal firearms. Pick the right tool for the job. I personally know several active and retired military personnel, Korea thru current. Each one carried a 1911 and would have nothing else. For their situation, the 1911 was the tool of choice. Don't own a 1911 myself, but think they are a classic and functional design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Don't own a Glock either. Don't care what anyone else thinks about my choice of firearms. My money, my choice. Everyone else should be extended the same freedom of choice.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    95% of my handgun collection is 1911's and Glocks. I love the feel and power of the .45 and with the slim design, is perfect for MY EDC, and the fact that it is still popular as hell after 100 years speaks volumes. The Glock, while a totally different animal, has its appealing merits TO ME, reliability, ruggedness, capacity. I don't begrudge those that like something different than what I do and I certainly don't understand why anyone that should be mature enough to carry a firearm would start an immature thread like this. This is a nice forum, take that junk elsewhere.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I am a 1911 guy and here is why:
    - Slim - Although I have hands with long fingers, I prefer a single-stack.
    - Metal - I like a metal handgun. Nothing wrong with poly's, I have several, including ones I carry but I prefer metal. That being said, I'd love to see someone come out with a polymer framed 1911 for carry. I know a lot of purists are turning beet-red right now but I ain't one of them. Variety is the spice of life and adaptability is key to survival.
    - Proven - It has been around for 100 years for a reason.
    - Customizable - I can't think of any platform that is more so.
    - Variety - There are a TON of them to choose form in many variations. Including some new models made very recently by manufacturers that never used to make a 1911.
    - Uniquely American - Sorta like the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. NOTE: I understand non-American manufacturers now make 1911's and some have so for a long time. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

That being said, I also like Glocks and here is why:
    - Combat - Chambered-round + squeezed-trigger = bang. Nice and simple. They are a true combat handgun for those who are experienced shooters who take them VERY seriously. When asked about them by a new shooter, I tell them to look elsewhere until they gain shooting experience/maturity.
    - Reliable - Simple = reliable.
    - Compatibility - Models in a common caliber will accept each others magazine. In my opinion this is one of Glock's most under-rated pluses.
    - Durable - Tenifer is an insanely awesome material and its resistance to corrosion and wear is another BIG plus for the Glock. However, I am not a fan of what I call "boutique" shooters that the Glock phenomenon seems to have created. Who, for some reason, thinks it's not necessary to clean them after every shoot.
    - Ubiquitous - The darn things are everywhere. If you are in a jam or a SHTF scenarios, you can find parts and mags just laying around if you know what I mean.

These are just some of the reason I like both 1911's and Glocks. Of course there are other fine models and manufacturers out there and I own quite a few.

I my reading on this forum I have notice that the majority of subscribers are either Glock owners or 1911 shooters. While I have absolutely no problem with this I often wonder why. I have fired many handguns in my life and don't see anything special about them. I will start with the 1911: A revolutionary firearm 100 years ago. Soak the last 3 words there for minute... I have been to competitions were more than 1 1911 shooter is bleeding from trying to beat a jam out of a 1911.

Now I will move on to the glocks. I hate them. It has nothing to due with the way they function. I just hate them, they are ugly and feel like a toy your hand. I know everyone will say "LEO's carry them because they are the best" I say to you stop and think about that statement( I mean I know some cops and I am not trusting their opinion on this subject). I DO NOT think these are poor firearms or that people that choose these are dumb. I just want to know What is all the Hype?. After shooting a number of both I'll stick with the SIG and the Wheel guns. Let harsh words begin!!!

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    I am a 1911 guy and here is why:
    - Slim - Although I have hands with long fingers, I prefer a single-stack.
    - Metal - I like a metal handgun. Nothing wrong with poly's, I have several, including ones I carry but I prefer metal. That being said, I'd love to see someone come out with a polymer framed 1911 for carry. I know a lot of purists are turning beet-red right now but I ain't one of them. Variety is the spice of life and adaptability is key to survival.
    - Proven - It has been around for 100 years for a reason.
    - Customizable - I can't think of any platform that is more so.
    - Variety - There are a TON of them to choose form in many variations. Including some new models made very recently by manufacturers that never used to make a 1911.
    - Uniquely American - Sorta like the Declaration of Independence, Constitution and Bill of Rights. NOTE: I understand non-American manufacturers now make 1911's and some have so for a long time. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

That being said, I also like Glocks and here is why:
    - Combat - Chambered-round + squeezed-trigger = bang. Nice and simple. They are a true combat handgun for those who are experienced shooters who take them VERY seriously. When asked about them by a new shooter, I tell them to look elsewhere until they gain shooting experience/maturity.
    - Reliable - Simple = reliable.
    - Compatibility - Models in a common caliber will accept each others magazine. In my opinion this is one of Glock's most under-rated pluses.
    - Durable - Tenifer is an insanely awesome material and its resistance to corrosion and wear is another BIG plus for the Glock. However, I am not a fan of what I call "boutique" shooters that the Glock phenomenon seems to have created. Who, for some reason, thinks it's not necessary to clean them after every shoot.
    - Ubiquitous - The darn things are everywhere. If you are in a jam or a SHTF scenarios, you can find parts and mags just laying around if you know what I mean.

These are just some of the reason I like both 1911's and Glocks. Of course there are other fine models and manufacturers out there and I own quite a few.

That HAS to be one of the most intelligent posts I've ever read, goColt! :bow:

Top Bottom