Let's play a game... Guess the Caliber..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnKDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2023
    Rutledge
    Just a wild guess, based on the given numbers and rimmed information - the only thing I can think of would be a faint marking of "7.7x56R", which is 303 British. Not worth much as a guess - only a chamber cast and bore slug will reveal the truth.

Edit: Looked at the pictures and noticed the double set triggers and the comparatively modern replacement bolt shroud - as it sits, it has no manual safety that I can see. Not a big deal to fix, the buyer could install a bolt shroud with a wing safety. Which it no doubt had originally.

Last edited:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I like Johns guess as a .303 British.

Only other thought is a mis-marked 7.65 Argentine. But, that cartridge is not rimmed and I can’t think of a reason someone would desire that caliber. It’s very rare.

JohnKDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2023
    Rutledge
    The rimmed part puzzles me - it would've been a questionable effort to make a rimmed cartridge work in a magazine Mauser. Perhaps the bolt face was opened up but not for a rimmed cartridge? Throwing darts in the dark,

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just a wild guess, based on the given numbers and rimmed information - the only thing I can think of would be a faint marking of "7.7x56R", which is 303 British. Not worth much as a guess - only a chamber cast and bore slug will reveal the truth.

Edit: Looked at the pictures and noticed the double set triggers and the comparatively modern replacement bolt shroud - as it sits, it has no manual safety that I can see. Not a big deal to fix, the buyer could install a bolt shroud with a wing safety. Which it no doubt had originally.
    The best theory I have heard yet.

If I got it, I wouldn't mess with adding the safety back. Though I must say I am curious.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The rimmed part puzzles me - it would've been a questionable effort to make a rimmed cartridge work in a magazine Mauser. Perhaps the bolt face was opened up but not for a rimmed cartridge? Throwing darts in the dark,
    The only thing I can think of, is officers in England provided their own stuff. Some of them didn't want an an enfield based gun and would go to wild lengths to chamber whatever they wanted in 303.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

JohnKDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2023
    Rutledge
    A British officer in the colonies would certainly be able to fall back on issue 303 ammo if he ran out of commercial hunting ammo.

JohnKDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2023
    Rutledge
    I think this might be a J.Rigby mauser in 303.
    I have found two other rifles with similar serial numbers

No pics, but the descriptions and serial are so close to the one above.

No idea why the one at Simpsons is "Sterile Marked"
    I have a friend with one of those Rigby Special High Velocity rifles. They knew how to make a hunting rifle for sure and for certain.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have a friend with one of those Rigby Special High Velocity rifles. They knew how to make a hunting rifle for sure and for certain.
    I am convinced its that, or something similar in 303.
    Also likely the flag safety came off so someone could mount the scope lower.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I'm guessing its some kind of wildcat.

This place I buy from has a vast array of obscure cartridges. Nothing comes up for 7.56
    Screenshot_2024-01-19-03-19-43.png

OP you have to buy it now so we can chamber cast it :cool:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is a 7×57mmR (Rimmed)

I am thinking about it, but gunsmiths around here might as well be myths. I would have to figure it out myself lol.

Top Bottom