• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    I was in a gun shop last year, and the last-minute buyers were flocking into the store to get a 'deer rifle' since the rifles had recently become legal.

Several buyers came in and did the same thing:
    1. they looked at a Marlin 1894, and smiled, then looked at the price tag, and put it back down.

2. they asked the clerk what else they had, and were shown a Rossi 92, and liked the price better, but then talked about needing a scope, and put that one back down.

3. they asked again what else the store had, and would be shown a .500 S&W Handi. They'd smile bigger, and say "Now THAT's a DEER rifle...!"

4. They'd say to their buddy how much better it would be to have that 'extra margin of power', vs. the .44 Magnum, which seemed like a pretty 'marginal' round for deer.

5. THEN they'd say "But you're sure not going to get a follow-up shot very fast with that breakopen gun...", and put the Handi down.

6. They'd browse around awhile, and wind up buying a .300 Win Mag bolt-gun (or in one case a used M1-A), saying it was "for coyotes"...
    Sometimes I'm embarassed to be a hunter...

Once I tried to be 'educational' about the .44 Magnum's capabilities, and commented that when I first started hunting deer, through the present, I'd killed every one with one shot, using the following:
    1. 240-gr JSP from a saboted 12-ga shell at about 1800 fps
    2. 240-gr JSP from a saboted .50 Muzzleloader at about 1800 fps
    3. 240-gr JSP from a .44 Mag Redhawk
    So then I commented that it seemed like a 240-gr JSP from a levergun just 'might' work, since the levergun is easier to shoot than any of those three, cheaper to practice with than the shotgun, and if 'followup shots' are an issue, holds more than any of the above, and is probably faster to shoot, without taking your eyes off the target.

That buyer did wind up buying the Handi-rifle in .500 S&W, because he still just couldn't see "making a clean kill" with a .44 Magnum unless it was loaded "so hot it would break your shoulder". So - that's right - instead of getting a .44 Mag lever action, he got a .500 S&W that weighed a pound less.

Anyway, sometimes it must be a real challenge for those of you who work in gun shops, to listen to some of the would-be gun-buyers, without laughing. :rolleyes:
    this made me laugh and shake my head. i was always taught one shot is all you need which is why i shoot a handi in .44. i shoot 240 grain XTPs and have never needed a second shot. i even downed a couple withe the 225 leverevolutions. i say that if they wanna spend an arm and a leg for .500 ammo. more power to them.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    this made me laugh and shake my head. i was always taught one shot is all you need which is why i shoot a handi in .44. i shoot 240 grain XTPs and have never needed a second shot. i even downed a couple withe the 225 leverevolutions. i say that if they wanna spend an arm and a leg for .500 ammo. more power to them.

Kind of off the subject but....what is your thoughts on the Leverlutions????

I have shot them through three different guns and the accuracy was really BAD!!!

Have talked to other people and they have voiced the same issues....has anyone had better luck??

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana

The .500 is not TOO bad if you reload, whats bad is sighting it in. If it takes more than two tries with a Handi you start flinching thinking of the recoil. Definitely need a good lead sled to sight in.The good thing is, you will make that first shot count 'cause you don't want to shoot it again.:) I'll be using a Handi in .357 reemed to MAX this year...can shoot it all day long with out the pain and is cheaper to reload:)

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    Here is my semi custom Ruger 44 mag SuperBlackHawk Stainless Steel. It has had the inside slicked up with some aftermarket parts, trigger job, etc. The target was with some bear loads test at 7 yds, so don't think I am trying to pass it off as a long range shooter. Anyway, I like it.

ac09aa78.jpg

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    My H&R in .44 mag loves the LeverEvolutions. Shoots 1-2" groups at 100 yards all day.

Kind of off the subject but....what is your thoughts on the Leverlutions????

I have shot them through three different guns and the accuracy was really BAD!!!

Have talked to other people and they have voiced the same issues....has anyone had better luck??

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    My H&R in .44 mag loves the LeverEvolutions. Shoots 1-2" groups at 100 yards all day.

I sent some through my H&R and it still likes the standard Winchester rounds better. I guess it just depends on the gun. I have a H&R 20 ga. single shot with the bull barrel that loves the copper solids (3/4" @ 50yds you could compleatly cover a three shot group with a quarter) and talked to another guy that said his wouldn't hit a pie pan at 50yds with them.

Top Bottom